Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Subpanel on a post?

1. Back To Top    #1

Subpanel on a post?

I've run conduit for a pool feeder circuit to the edge of a concrete slab, which is the foundation for a pool house (someday). In the meantime, I need a place to mount a subpanel.

I plan to anchor a length of 2x4 on the slab and mount a 4x4 post on it. A scrap of plywood fastened to the front of the post should be enough to fit the panel, the SWCG power center, and a couple of junction boxes.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Sim
    Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Subpanel on a post?

There may be but that's pretty darned close to what we have.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

Redneck engineering at it's finest I think. Might use some exterior grade plywood or a couple of cedar planks or a cut up length of wolmanized deck board.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

That would be an easy way or you can buy Unistrut. Thats what I would use for something like that.
    Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

5. Back To Top    #5

Be sure you drive a ground rod. Since the subpanel isnt attched to the house, it needs its own, separate ground rod.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Unistruts look expensive. I think I'll woodchuck it (in Vermont, redneck == woodchuck). It should last until I put up the wall framing.

I'm waiting to double-check with the builder that I correctly recall the location he recommended for the ground rod. Do I need more than one ground rod if I have no way to determine whether resistance to ground is less than 25 ohms (NEC 250.56)? I don't think I can measure that with a regular multimeter.

7. Back To Top    #7

One rod is ok as far as I know. A main panel in the house is usually tied to a ground rod and a main water pipe, but a subpanel detached from the house is fine with one.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Woodchucks rule!

[attachment=0819mgbv]Woodchuck.png[/attachment819mgbv]

It was easier to dig a post footing than to drill and brace, so I went with a 4x4 in gravel. The ground rod isn't in yet, so there's no GEC or bonding straps. Don't thump me yet - I'm not running the feeder until the rest of the LFNC is buried, the ground rod is driven, and everything is bonded properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

You might not be up to code as wood isn't allowed most places....just FYI.
    34 x 19 salt water free form. 7.5" inside diameter raised spa. 24" raised beam in back. 3 moss rock waterfalls off raised beam and moss rock waterfall out of the spa. (2) Intelliflo VF pumps, 420 Cartridge Filter, 400 BTU Pentair low nox heater. 2.5" suction and 2" returns throughout.

10. Back To Top    #10

That would never pass inspection in Massachusetts.

11. Back To Top    #11

Subpanel on a post?

2 pt 4x4s and some 5/4 decking cut to length ad the panel. Worked like a charm
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by BigJD
    2 pt 4x4s and some 5/4 decking cut to length ad the panel. Worked like a charm
    Yep. 2 posts for support and a larger piece of heavy plywood or decking does the trick. One post isnt enough support over the long term. If thats temporary and your not getting it inspected, it should be ok until you get a permanent structucture. But dont wait too long.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    2 posts for support and a larger piece of heavy plywood or decking does the trick. One post isnt enough support over the long term.
    A second post and replace the crosspieces with exterior plywood. I can do that. Thanks, BK. Vermont doesn't do residential inspections, but I'm not trying to abuse that (honest!).

14. Back To Top    #14

Panel on a post, version 2.0. Well, two posts now.

[attachment=0:1cckktx8]panel2.png[/attachment:1cckktx8]
    Attached Images Attached Images