Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Beginner startup help

1. Back To Top    #1

Beginner startup help

I have an Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" with a sand filter pump and Intex SWG. Here are my numbers as of today. I filled the pool up last week and put the amount of salt in it the SWG said to(210lbs). I had no CYA or FC as of yesterday and the local pool shop said to add a pound of shock. I did and it raised my FC but muy CYA is still 0.

Before shock results:
    CYA 0
    Total Alk 80-120
    PH 7.2
    FC 0
    Hardness 200
    Copper 0
    Sodium(salt) 2780ppm

After shock:

YA 0
    Total Alk 80-120
    PH 7.5
    FC 2/4
    Hardness 200
    Copper 0
    Sodium(salt) 2780ppm

do i need to bring up the copper and FC? If so how. All that is in the pool is water, salt and the 1lb of shock added last night.

TIA

JC
    Intex 24' x 12' x 52" Ultra Metal-Frame Above-Ground Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Beginner startup help

Welcome to TFP

Have you read through pool school? (Link in my sig).

Shock is a process, not a product. Do you happen to know what type of "shock", aka granular chlorine they had you add? It was likely cal-hypo if it did not raise CYA.

Copper is not a great thing in pools, so I would avoid that. CYA, also called conditioner/stabilizer, should be added to around 60ppm for a SWG pool. You can use poolcalculator.com to determine the right amount to add
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to raise the CYA level up to around 70 to 80. With zero CYA you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight just as quickly as the SWG can add more.

Most people around here prefer to disconnect the copper element. Copper can cause blond hair to turn green and cause unsightly stains that are difficult to remove.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The "shock" i added was hth shock n swim 1lb bag. Calcium hypo.
    Intex 24' x 12' x 52" Ultra Metal-Frame Above-Ground Pool