Starting new pool next week!! - questions & comment

May 7, 2011
Hello everyone.

I will begin construction of a new pool starting next week. I will be the GC and have lined up the subcontractors for the various phases of construction I decided to build a pool about a two weeks ago, so I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the decisions to make. Anyway, I have a few questions with regards to what equipment to purchase, etc. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Pool Specs:
Pool size: 40'x22' gunite
Perimeter: 112'
Depth: 3.5' to 5.5' to 4'
Area: 760 sqft
Plaster: Pebblesheen
Two Main drains
Four returns
Two skimmers

1. My biggest question to this point is what type of CL2 system to use. My wife and friends are convinced that a SWG system is the way to go, but I have not talked to one pool contractor or service company that recommends them. Corrosion issues seem to be their biggest concern. I was planning on going with the in-line chlorinator for tabs, until finding this forum. Now it seems that chlorine liquid is the answer, but I am concerned with keeping up with the daily workload. My wife and kids think that there eyes will burn and the pool will smell like chlorine without the SWG. Any thoughts?

2. I am talking to a local pool service company for recommendations as well as to purchase equipment from. They are recommending a Jandy stealth 2.5HP pump, Jandy DE filter, Polaris 280 poll cleaner, Polaris 3/4hp pump, and in-line chlorinator. Any thoughts?

Once again, any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to get these concerns behind me ASAP, as I have alot of work ahead of me!

Thanks,

Purcy

Biggest issue first: Red eyes and a chlorine smell are indicative of a poorly maintained pool, regardless which chlorine system/method is used.
You can look into the Liquidator-----forum section on this-----or a peristaltic pump to inject liquid chlorine on a continuous, more level basis.
Congrats! And Welcome!

Adding to what woody has posted,

An SWG produces chlorine....the same kind that tabs or liquid chlorine produces. Regardless of the form of chlorine, once it gets in your pool it is all the same stuff.

Pool School is the place I suggest you start. You will find that all the forms of chlorine have some sort of drawback but all can be managed once you learn what the drawbacks are. Once you learn about them, you will be able to choose what fits best for you.

Welcome to TFP!

I definitely recommend a SWG. Corrosion is a dramatically overblown risk. Normally the only time there is any risk is when you have a lot of natural stone work using some of the softer kinds of natural stone.

As others have already said, any chlorine pool when properly maintained will be just fine, regardless of the source of the chlorine. Likewise, any pool can be poorly maintained and have problems.

You would only want a pump that big if you have a spa or waterfall or other major water feature. Even then, you would want to get a two speed pump, so you could run it on low speed to save money. With just a simple pool 2.5 HP is way too large.

I was starting to think that the pump is too large, based upon what i have already seen on this site. Is there a formula that I can use to size my pump? I do not have a spa or water feature.

OK, the SWG system will make the wife happy. As far as that goes, the pool guys says that I can't add the salt or use the pool sweep for 30 days after plaster.
He has also quoted a Goldline Aqualogic 1400 SWG system. Any thoughts on that SWG?
Also, one of his reasons for not recommending the SWG, is the large amount of muratic acid you have to add to keep the pH in line. Is this just related to poor pool maintenance?

Thanks,

A 3/4 HP full rated pump or 1 HP max rated pump should be fine. Definitely look into getting a two speed pump, as that can save a lot of electricity.

Correct, you need to wait 30 days before adding salt or running the automatic pool cleaner.

Goldline/Hayward makes very good SWG units. The AquaLogic series are automation systems with an optional SWG add on, while the AquaRite line is just the SWG.

Proper water balance can eliminate the need to add acid because of the SWG. However, fresh plaster requires adding a lot of acid during the first month and some acid for up to a year after the plaster is applied.

Jason, will the pump run continuous or on a timer? I read about the pump running 8 hours a day some places and continuous other places. What's best? Is the Jandy 60 sqft DE filter OK or too big as well?

Why is this guy trying to sell me an Aqualogic when I don't have a spa or water feature? Will it perform some other function that I may find useful? Seems like an Aquarite is all I need and less money.

Thanks

60 sqft is fine, though I would go a little larger. Larger filters go longer between backwashes/cleaning and filter better.

Pump run time depends on lots of things. It is best to have a timer and play with the run time to see how much your pool really needs.

He might have mis-spoken when he said AquaLogic. There isn't much point in getting an automation system without a spa, or any water features or lights that you want to control. The AuqaLogic will function as a pump timer, but an ordinary timer is much less expensive. Remember that sales people are in the business of selling you things.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A two speed pump on low speed draws about 1/4 the electricity, but moves 1/2 as much water. So, if you run it twice as long it moves just as much water and uses half as much electricity. Over a couple of years that electric savings can really add up, much more saved than the extra cost of the two speed pump.

The easiest way to control the pump is to install a switch that picks between high speed and low speed, and a timer to turn it on and off. Normally you leave the switch set to low speed, but you can switch it to high speed when priming the pump or vacuuming.

I have been reading about the new Pentair IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed pump on this site. Would this not be a good pump choice for my application. Also, would this not eliminate the need for a seperate timer? How would it interact with the Aquarite SWG?

A variable speed pump will save even more electricity, but costs even more up front. How good a tradeoff that is depends on your electric rates. In most of California, and other areas with high electric rates, a variable speed pump is a good investment. But if electricity costs you less than about $0.20 per kwh a variable speed pump won't generally pay back it's up front costs.

The timer in the IntelliFlo will turn the pump on and off, but it won't turn the SWG on and off. That can cause minor safety issues unless you install a current triggered switch the detects of the pump is actually running or not and turns the SWG on and off. It is also possible for the IntelliFlo on it's very lowest speeds to provide too little water flow for the SWG, though that is rare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.