New pool, what pump and filter is best?

I've done lots of reading here and elsewhere the past week, and I think I've decided on most things. The main thing I need help deciding is what filter and pump to get, and where is a good place to get them at.

I'm going to get an above ground 18x39 oval pool with straight sides, with a 6' deep end dug out, so I'm guessing it'll be somewhere around 22,000-25,000 or so gallons. I'm going to try to find an older model Intex SWG, and add some borates (which seems to help a little with everything).

My electricity is around $0.16 kwh, so I'm guessing a 2 speed pump is probably the most economical. What size do I need though, and does anyone have recommendations?

For filters, I think I'll go with a sand or cartridge filter. Overall, which is cheaper and which is easier to maintain? What size would I need, or what would be recommended?

Thanks for any recommendations and help :)

When it comes to cost of operation of filters a big part of it will be cost of water, as well as where you have to dump water from backwashing, etc. In itself a sand filter will be the cheapest to operate, however they do require dumping a lot of water every time you back wash. You will see a lot of variation on cartridge filter cost depending on the type of cartridge and how often they require replacement, they do have the advantage or requiring much less wasted water than backwashing a sand filter, however rinsing a reusable cartridge can be a messy ordeal.

Ike

If you want to go the cheap route, check Craigslist. I am always amazed at how many people sell their above ground pools after only one season. If you already have the pool, you can also find great deals on sand filters and pumps. A good rule of thumb is to size your filter slightly larger than what is generally recommended by the manufacturers. It is a personal choice for sand vs. cartridge. If water is expensive, I would recommend a cartridge, otherwise sand will do you well. Since the cost of electricity is not too bad in your area, a 2 speed pump would meet your needs quite well, too. Just in case, please be sure to review this article: pool-school/pool_pump_basics Enjoy!

Didn't think of craigslist, will have to check that out.

poolsupplyworld has a 350lb Pentair SD80 for $390, and a 350lb Jandy SFTM25 for $370. 200 or 250 lb filters seem to be like $340-350 each, so I'm guessing might as well get a 350lb, right?

I've seen lots of people on here talking about liking Pentair products, is it significantly better than the Jandy or not much difference?

Most of the major brands are about the same as each other. Which is to say that they all have some great products and some not so great products. Sand filters have been around for a very long time, and everyone knows how to make a good sand filter at this point, so you can't go too wrong. Other product categories are a bit more variable.

You often get a longer warranty if you buy all your major components from the same brand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.