skimmer sock

Cole

May 3, 2011
Berea. KY
hello everybody, I was wandering if i would be able to use pantyhose as a replacement skimmer sock. I was also wandering if I could use pantyhose in the pump strainer basket. my pump is a 1 hp hayward power flo.

Panty hose are good for only a few days and are pretty hard to rinse out. Also, they catch small stuff like insects, but you will find that the really small stuff like dust gets through. When I finally got some proper socks, they were not too expensive--a dollar or two apiece. They last quite a long time, they fit like they're supposed to, without slipping, and you'd be surprised at how much they catch. They also rinse clean with a quick spray from the hose. I'm planning on buying another year's supply when I get back to the mainland.

My personal experience has been that if you don't frequently check and clean the skimmer sock, then one may run the risk of inadvertently causing the pump to work harder than necessary. My neighbor has many oak trees that seem to drop all of their leaves and pollen into my pool. While the skimmer sock did a great job of catching all that debris, it would also easily clog. I am not sure what your particular situation is or why you desire to filter more debris. However, have you considered this: http://www.poolskimusa.com/ One could easily add pantyhouse or a commercial skimmer sock and not run the risk of damage to the pump. Just my $0.02 worth. Hope this helps.

You do not want to put a skimmer sock in the pump strainer basket. I have a second strainer basket so I just swap them out when 1 gets full. Also when you use a skimmer sock in the skimmer you need to check it frequently if there is a lot of leaf debris floating in the water. Don't let the skimmer sock get packed with debris or the skimmer basket may crack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.