Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer sock

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer sock

hello everybody, I was wandering if i would be able to use pantyhose as a replacement skimmer sock. I was also wandering if I could use pantyhose in the pump strainer basket. my pump is a 1 hp hayward power flo.
    Cole Pocius
    15'x30'x52" AG, 1 HP Hayward Power Flo, Hayward per-flex D.E filter, Aqua luminator. chlorine, baracuda beta. vinyl liner, 12,500 k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: skimmer sock

Never tried that but worth a try..Don't know how it would hold..I have used cheese cloth...Just fold it over a couple times ..Work very well..You will never know to you try it....
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Got some stretched over my skimmer basket now.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Panty hose are good for only a few days and are pretty hard to rinse out. Also, they catch small stuff like insects, but you will find that the really small stuff like dust gets through. When I finally got some proper socks, they were not too expensive--a dollar or two apiece. They last quite a long time, they fit like they're supposed to, without slipping, and you'd be surprised at how much they catch. They also rinse clean with a quick spray from the hose. I'm planning on buying another year's supply when I get back to the mainland.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

5. Back To Top    #5

My personal experience has been that if you don't frequently check and clean the skimmer sock, then one may run the risk of inadvertently causing the pump to work harder than necessary. My neighbor has many oak trees that seem to drop all of their leaves and pollen into my pool. While the skimmer sock did a great job of catching all that debris, it would also easily clog. I am not sure what your particular situation is or why you desire to filter more debris. However, have you considered this: http://www.poolskimusa.com/ One could easily add pantyhouse or a commercial skimmer sock and not run the risk of damage to the pump. Just my $0.02 worth. Hope this helps.
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

panty hose also "dissolve" at shock levels...- well, maybe just because I'm lazy, and pour Cl through the strainer!
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

7. Back To Top    #7

You do not want to put a skimmer sock in the pump strainer basket. I have a second strainer basket so I just swap them out when 1 gets full. Also when you use a skimmer sock in the skimmer you need to check it frequently if there is a lot of leaf debris floating in the water. Don't let the skimmer sock get packed with debris or the skimmer basket may crack.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I use 1 gallon, elastic top paint strainers available at any hardware store and I think they work great. I pay $2 for a 2 pack.

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks for all the replys, first off i dont have chlorine i use softswim (forgot to say) next i just wanted to use the "skimmer sock" when i open my pool so i dont waste as much d.e. backwashing.
    Cole Pocius
    15'x30'x52" AG, 1 HP Hayward Power Flo, Hayward per-flex D.E filter, Aqua luminator. chlorine, baracuda beta. vinyl liner, 12,500 k gallon