Black smoke coming from heater

Strom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2009
Greenwood, Indiana
I opened our pool today...it was perfectly clear! I attribute that to this forum and the BBB Method. Even the heater started right up. The only thing new this year was that when I fired up the heater (Hayward H200), I noticed black smoke coming out of the vents. I shut of the heater, waited 15 minutes and turned it on again. Black smoke again. The smoke has left soot on the vents. The water temperature is only 55F. Any ideas what the problem could be?

It could be some sort of debris that has gotten into the heater. Possibly from animals building nests.

There could some sort of problem with the gas/air mixture causing incomplete combustion. Possibly improper gas pressure or blocked airflow. Gas pressure might be low due to a partially closed valve.

The heater will have to be thoroughly checked and cleaned before being used. It should be left off until it can be repaired.

Reactions: jbocaneg
There is a spider called...what else..."orifice spider"! They love to get into the venturi sections of gas appliances and disrupt air flow. Black smoke is a sign of incomplete combustion from insufficient air. It's too early for dirt daubers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.