Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black smoke coming from heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Greenwood, Indiana

Black smoke coming from heater

I opened our pool was perfectly clear! I attribute that to this forum and the BBB Method. Even the heater started right up. The only thing new this year was that when I fired up the heater (Hayward H200), I noticed black smoke coming out of the vents. I shut of the heater, waited 15 minutes and turned it on again. Black smoke again. The smoke has left soot on the vents. The water temperature is only 55F. Any ideas what the problem could be?

16 x 32 Inground Vinyl, Infinity 2000 Automatic Cover
    Hayward S210T 2.2 sq ft Sand Filter with 1 HP Speck Badu EcoM3V Pump, Hayward H200 Heater
    Polaris 380, Dolphin DX4 w/remote, CircuPool RJ-30 SWG, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black smoke coming from heater

It could be some sort of debris that has gotten into the heater. Possibly from animals building nests.

There could some sort of problem with the gas/air mixture causing incomplete combustion. Possibly improper gas pressure or blocked airflow. Gas pressure might be low due to a partially closed valve.

The heater will have to be thoroughly checked and cleaned before being used. It should be left off until it can be repaired.

3. Back To Top    #3

Paradise (Hampstead, NC)

Re: Black smoke coming from heater

There is a spider called...what else..."orifice spider"! They love to get into the venturi sections of gas appliances and disrupt air flow. Black smoke is a sign of incomplete combustion from insufficient air. It's too early for dirt daubers.
    16X32 AB, Jacuzzi Laser 190 19" sand filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100