First Try, Where to start.

LynnB

May 2, 2011
Dallas, TX
Ok, I drained the pool last night, probably 60% or so. I had CYA levels over 100, so this seemed like a good place to start while waiting for my TF-100, which came today. The pool was refilled by mid morning, DE added and it had been circulating for 5 hours or so before I tested. I took a water sample to the Pool store and did my own tests, just to see how we matched up. Here are the results:

TF-100
FC .5
CC .5
TC 1
PH 7.5-7.8
TA 60
CH 320
CYA 30
Temp 72

PoolStore
FC 0
PH 7.6
TA 60
CH 200
CYA 30
Phosphates 1000

From looking at the Pool Calculator and recomended levels, I should bring my FC up to 5 or 6, so that is about 2 gallons of bleach. I should bring my TA up 80, which would be about 6lbs of baking soda.

My Questions are:
1. So should I do one before the other, and if so which one first and how long should I wait before the other?
2. Should I be concerned with the Phosphates? How should I handle them?
3. How do I know if my pool water has copper in it?

Thanks, I can't say enough how much I've enjoyed finding this site.

Lynn

You can add chlorine and raise TA in either order with only a few seconds delay in-between.

Ignore phosphates. They don't make any difference as long as you maintain an appropriate FC level.

Unless you have some reason to believe that the pool has copper in it, assume that it doesn't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.