Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water evaporation vs leak

1. Back To Top    #1

water evaporation vs leak

What should I expect to see in evaporation here in SE Texas? Right now I'm losing about 1" of water per week. I've crawled all around the plumbing, checked everything and cant find any leaks. We are in a drought right now, so I'm not sure how much the weather is affecting the loss of water.
    Thanks,

Richard

Pool - 18' Doughboy Above Ground Vinyl, 7600 Gallons, 1HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump, Hayward Star Clear Cartridge Filter C500 50 GPM flow rate, Hasa Chlorine Injector, Pool Rover Vacuum, Taylor K-2005 Testkit - Hot Tub - Artesian Pelican Bay, 550 Gallons, Ozone, Nature 2 Mineral Sanatizer, Bromine floater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water evaporation vs leak

1" a week is not uncommon and pretty average for most areas. I can lose over 2" per week in the summer without the solar cover on.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

You can do a bucket test to determine which it is, but yea here in Dallas 1" a week is not only common, but I've seen worse than that in the real heat of the summer.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmm, havent thought about a bucket test, but I'll do that this week, and measure the drop on both. Thanks for that idea.
    Thanks,

Richard

Pool - 18' Doughboy Above Ground Vinyl, 7600 Gallons, 1HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump, Hayward Star Clear Cartridge Filter C500 50 GPM flow rate, Hasa Chlorine Injector, Pool Rover Vacuum, Taylor K-2005 Testkit - Hot Tub - Artesian Pelican Bay, 550 Gallons, Ozone, Nature 2 Mineral Sanatizer, Bromine floater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Note that from the Pool School article on Leak Detection that the bucket of water should sit in the pool water so that it is at the same temperature. Specifically,
    ...fill a bucket with water, mark the level of the water in the bucket, set it on the stairs and compare the water loss between the pool level and the bucket level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Richard
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

error delete

8. Back To Top    #8

Not kidding there are weeks in the summer I put in water 2-3 times and watch 2-3 inches evaporate. I thought maybe I had a leak but all our Friends pools had the same thing. Also my pool has no shade so if the sun is up at 6:30 it is shining on it until 7pm or later when it dips behind the neighbors trees.

Ask people in your area what there water loss is.