1st Post Newbie Help: DE continuously entering my pool

May 6, 2011
New member, new SWG pool owner. Moved into new house Feb 1st with SWG pool. Pool was cloudy. Pool maintenance guy told me it was due to DE entering the pool. Checked cartridges and found them to be all blown apart. Bought new cartridges and replaced. Pool was sparkly and clean. Happy pool owner. Pool maintenance guy did some research on my filter (Quad DE 80) and informed me it was plumbed backwards with the incorrect hi flow valve (Pentair 26-1152 for Grid Filter only). Purchased and installed new valve (Pentair 26-1055 for Sand Filter). Pool was cloudy again. Checked cartridges again. Found two of them blown out again. Purchased and installed new cartridges again. Pool is still cloudy. How long should it take to clear the DE out of it if everything is working properly? Is there anything else that could be causing this? Please help. I'm about ready to lose it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Hopefully Brice (Pentair Guy) will see this and comment. If the filter was plumbed backward then whenever you added DE it would go into the inside of the cartridges. Was there DE inside the cartridges?

If it dumped it a lot of DE into the pool it may take a while to clear it all up. Brushing the pool every day will help stir it up so the filter can filter the DE out quicker.

Don't give up too soon. Now that you've found us you will learn to love your pool again instead of detesting it. We're glad to help take over your pool.

Thanks Dave J. The first time I replaced the cartridges, it was still plumbed incorrectly but the pool did clear up. It was only after I installed the correct valve that the pool got cloudy again. Checking the cartridges, two of them had tears so I replaced those, cleaned the two good ones, added DE and fired it back up again. That was on Tuesday. 3 days later it has shown absolutely no improvement. I hope the Pentair guy or someone else can shed some additional light on this.

Pentair recently changed the name of their consumer support site to Pool FYI Pentair's technician's answer questions posted there during usual office hours M-F. If you post a question about the install you should have a response by Monday afternoon.

Could you post a complete set of test results? It is possible that you have the beginnings of an algae bloom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.