New pool start up, well water.

tcm

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2011
Brookeland, Texas
Construction has finally begun the other day and should be done in another 10 to 14 days. I have spent the last several weeks reading everything I can on this site. I am hoping that this whole pool chemistry thing isn't as complicated as it sounds. Although I now feel like I know more than my PB knows, and that scares me.

Okay heres my question. I plan on using my well to fill the pool when complete. I sent a sample with the PB to test the other day as I have not ordered my own test kit yet. The following are the results he gave me.
PH - 8.2
TA - 173
FC - 0.3
CH - 28
TDS - 500
He said they did not test for metals , but I know I have had the well tested before when we installed a filtration system and we did not have any at a level we needed to filter out. So not really sure exactly what they are.

And of course then comes the "you need x amount of lbs of this stabilizer, x lbs of algicide, ect... ect... :blah: :blah: "

Now I need the real answer on how to proceed in balancing my water when it comes time?

You really need a metals test, especially iron.

Get your own test kit and do your own testing.
How did your well water get chlorine in it? Do you inject chlorine into it?

P.S. That's one big honking pool! :shock:

Going to order the test kit today. The chlorine in the well must be from when I chlorinated it several months ago to kill the sulpher reducing bacteria. We have since then put a filtration system and a ozone generator on it, but the sample was taken with the filter bypassed.

I don't know how I missed the read in pool school about the new plaster start up. Thanks I just wanted to make sure the PB wasn't selling me a bunch of unnessary chemicals, but will follow thier instructions for start up.

And yes it is big!!! It didn't seem that way when I drew it out on the yard. PB tried to tell me but I am hard headed. I wanted to be able to swim in the pool not just stand in it and soak. Didn't realize how big it was until they dug the hole. Oh well, everthing is supposed to be bigger in Texas right???

I have a well too and you might want to rethink your plan.

Filling with my well would take FOREVER! My PB told me I need to fill it fast to get the plaster to cure. My well pump would take more than a week easy probably closer to 2. Can anyone let us know how long he has to get the sufficient amount of water into this pool to protect from floating? I have a very wet property and i would be concerned going long with the plugs in and not a sufficient amount of water. My pool filled itself during construction with the plugs out...just to give you and idea.

Are there any volunteer fire stations you can donate some money to? I have heard of fire stations filling pools, though I hired a service.

That's some serious work your asking your well pump to do btw....just saying.

tcm,

Welcome to the forum :lol: and, yes, that is one big honking pool!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

snewo brings up a very good point about the capacity of your well. Mine would've been simply overwhelmed.

Please do your own testing rather than trust the PB on absolutely anything. Nothing against him, but this forum is loaded with people who have been given poor chemistry advice from PB's and pool stores.

The second point about considering an outside source for your water is iron content. In my opinion, it is almost mandatory that you have the water tested for iron PRIOR to making the decision to put it in your pool Once in there, it is quite problematic to get it out....regardless of what anyone will tell you.

The rest of your water balance will be a chip shot for you. What currently seems complex will become second nature.

Your wisest choice so far is that you have taken the time to inquire and learn BEFORE you have to make the decision. :lol: :lol:

Keep us posted.

Thanks, I am concerned about the load on my well & pump, but also concerned with the municipal water supply. When we lived in our old house we were connected to it and was horrible with iron. I am still waiting on an iron test from our well but seem to remember when the company put our filtration system in we didn't have any significant metals that needed to filtered out. But that doesn't mean there isn't any. I would really like to avoid having problems with this in the future. I am researching other options but haven't so far been able to find any. Hauling water from anywhere else would probably be quite expensive with todays fuel costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.