Pool Domes!

Just thought I'd chime in on the topic. One of the best options I've seen as a legitimate INEXPENSIVE build for a dome was an adaptation of a tent. A carefully chosen round tent could concievably be modified for above ground pools, but there again, I imagine wind would be an issue. For the northern climates where heating all year round is the main concern, a bubble or vinyl dome may be the way to go. However, in more moderate weather where pool maintenance and keeping debris out is the main concern, a screen dome with an 'optional' solid cover might work best. Its nice to still be able to enjoy the whether on nice days too without having to disassemble the vinyl covers or bubble domes. At the risk of being accused of making a shameless plug, for those that were asking for reviews and ideas, another brand out there is a DIY kit called The Pool Igloo.

On the subject of pool domes, I ran across this one:
oceandome2.jpg

The story is here:
http://www.japannewsreview.com/travel/20070605page_id=71

Has anyone found any great, inexpensive pool dome ideas? Does anyone have any new comments on the Ameidone? We are looking for a structure now. The cost is unbelievable. I had one company send me a quote for $50,000 for an 18X37 pool with a couple of feet on each end extra. Wow, I knew it would be high, but that just about choked me. Thanks!

I like this design- like a tent over the pool- looks like you don't have to have as many anchors as for inflatable kind.
I have no desire to drill anchor holes every 3 ft like for Ameridome.
Check out Pooligloo-
Thanks for all the information.

I built a 24' X 12' greenhouse that has withstood 70 mph winds. It came as a kit with the PVC poles and other PVC parts, aluminum angle parts, a few of the smaller wood pieces needed, etc. and heavy "plastic" covering. I had to purchase the heavier, longer lumber for the project. I purchased a clear solar cover to put over it for insulation. I built it all by myself, but did get help from a friend stretching and attaching the the first layer of covering. The initial kit was somewhere around $500 but I don't remember how much I spent for the 2 X 4's, and 2 X 6's needed, paint for wood, and rebar to secure the base boards into ground. In all I think I spent less than $1000. It has taken a lot of beating from our extreme storms and winds and is still quite sturdy. One thing that helps with durability, I think, is that it does a bit of flexing in high winds. I was able to keep it above 75 F, using small gas heaters, even when the temps went down into the teens.

http://www.farmtek.com is a great source for ideas and/or purchases for similar structures, from simple and small to very large.

Also, checkout Polycarbonate, coverings.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1;ft1_building_material;ft1_corrugated_sheets_panels.html

I love just browsing the site and getting ideas for projects.

geekgranny=alice

Bump (yes, in next 1-2 months our temp will get cold and lots of rain and leaves will mess up my pool water if I don't do anything about this project).

Great post GeekGranny. I love the idea of a prefab greenhouse that can just fit over (or attach to top of) pool. I have an above-ground pool so if I attach to rails I'd need a lower "cold frame" design which are fewer and less versatile.

Another even cheaper+faster option I've thought of is buying a large carport structure from Costco or some similar location. Summer drape clear greenhouse fabric and winter put original vinyl cloth jacket on it. Only problem is the occasional snow loads easily break lightweight frames like this... and getting 12'x24' dimensions might be tough. (In Seattle we typically only have only one or two storms each year with enough snow to cause weight problems... and every year that I have a lightweight structure I end up forgetting to brush it off in time :hammer: .)

Hey, maybe I should look for 12'x30' to give room for the ladder and some spring greenhouse action :-D.
Any new ideas or thoughts?

Cheers! -z

I bought an Ameridome last year and used it through New Years. I live in Minneapolis, MN so the heating bill was high in December.

Worked great, would get pretty foggy inside when the pool cover was open but definitely kept the heating bill down compared to no dome.

Plenty of room, walls are tall and go up quickly. easy to install, do need to drill anchors every three feet. In January I tuned down the heater to 45 until March when we started using the pool. Took the dome off in late May due to the cold wet spring.

Only real work is snow storms. Anything over 1-2 inches of snow will cause the dome to deflate in a corner or two. In big storms I would just unplug and let it deflate before the snow storm. Pool water melts all the snow, just need to get the pool cover pump out there to pump the water off, dome will inflate on it's own once water is off.

Paid 4600 for a Rectangular Ameri-Dome 50 feet X 27 feet. Very pleased with the service from Ameri-Dome, answered all questions and delivered as promised. The fan to keep the dome inflated is similar to those that are used for large inflatable toys. The blower only cost $25-50 a month to operate, it's the heat that adds up:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.