Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tiles keep popping off

1. Back To Top    #1

Tiles keep popping off

Hello all newbie here...Came across this site while trying to figure out why pump motor was making a noise which ended up being the bearings.. Anyway I have a A&S pool, happy with it, it is nice but long story with it. Anyway I live in NJ, I have had this problem from day one...The spa tiles on the spillway wall and now the spillway are popping off. I fixed them about 2 years ago and needless to say when I popped the cover and there are the tiles laying in the bottom of the spa...I have tiles that are cracked on top of the spill way too. Just a mess..Now I also have tiles popping off where the skimmer entrances are inside the pool...I was told that it has to do with the type of material that they used as the scratch coat. Whatever it is, what is the proper fix and what materials do people recommend. thanks!

Don't know how many gallons the pool is.
    Cartridge filter
    In-Ground Pool
    Don't know pump size/flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tiles keep popping off

If the tiles come off leaving the substrate it's probably poor quality adhesive. If there's bits of substrate stuck to the glue on the back of the tiles it's probably the substrate (maybe got wet before it dried washing out any cement).
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: Tiles keep popping off

Welcome to TFP!!

Solarboy addressed the issues with proper bonding I just want to ask if you keep the water high enough through the winter to allow ice expansion to cause the 'popping' ?
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)