Pool pump leaking after running "dry"

Oct 7, 2010
People,

(correction: "after", not "sfter" in title)

Dry hot weather, pool evaporated some in 3 weeks, forgot to add a few inches of water, pump kicks on in the morning, lost its prime apparently, and could not prime cuz water level probably too low, and ran all day long "dry". Noticed it around 4PM, shut off motor.

So I opened leaf trap to prime with a gallon water, turned pump on, it primed OK, and now notice a leak between the pump and the pump side of the half impeller housing (if I explained that well). I split the housing, and O ring seems oK and tight. The leak was though, farther back toward the pump- almost at the first seam where the pump butts up to that metallic housing gismoo. Is there another seal in there that could have "melted" ?

Thanks!

The shaft seal is your problem it's a two part device, One part ceramic and one carbon with some rubber seals on it. You'll have to replace that in order stop your leak. That requires removing the impeller to get at it.

Bama Rambler said:
The shaft seal is your problem it's a two part device, One part ceramic and one carbon with some rubber seals on it. You'll have to replace that in order stop your leak. That requires removing the impeller to get at it.

Thanks, Mod. So, I did remove the impeller, but now do I need to get the motor on a bench for a shaft seal replacement?

Thanks!

thanks, Mod. Ended up I took it in to shop and it needed the seal,AND apparently, I burned up the bearing! Geez. I learned my lesson. Keep the pool water level up to where its supposed to be!!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.