Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump leaking after running "dry"

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump leaking after running "dry"

People,

(correction: "after", not "sfter" in title)

Dry hot weather, pool evaporated some in 3 weeks, forgot to add a few inches of water, pump kicks on in the morning, lost its prime apparently, and could not prime cuz water level probably too low, and ran all day long "dry". Noticed it around 4PM, shut off motor.

So I opened leaf trap to prime with a gallon water, turned pump on, it primed OK, and now notice a leak between the pump and the pump side of the half impeller housing (if I explained that well). I split the housing, and O ring seems oK and tight. The leak was though, farther back toward the pump- almost at the first seam where the pump butts up to that metallic housing gismoo. Is there another seal in there that could have "melted" ?

Thanks!
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump leaking after running "dry"

The shaft seal is your problem it's a two part device, One part ceramic and one carbon with some rubber seals on it. You'll have to replace that in order stop your leak. That requires removing the impeller to get at it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The shaft seal is your problem it's a two part device, One part ceramic and one carbon with some rubber seals on it. You'll have to replace that in order stop your leak. That requires removing the impeller to get at it.
    Thanks, Mod. So, I did remove the impeller, but now do I need to get the motor on a bench for a shaft seal replacement?

Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

It's hard to replace the seal in place in most installations. Post back if you need more help.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks, Mod. Ended up I took it in to shop and it needed the seal,AND apparently, I burned up the bearing! Geez. I learned my lesson. Keep the pool water level up to where its supposed to be!!!!!!