Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this heater too small???

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this heater too small???

I have an offer to buy a laars lite 2 175,000 btu heater for our 16,000 gal pool. We live in central Al, and I am not sure it is large enough for our pool... What do you think???
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this heater too small???

That depends on what you want to do with it. That heater is plenty large enough to dramatically extend the pool season. If you are starting from very cold water and want to be swimming right away, that heater will take a while to get the pool up to temperature, and a larger heater will give a better experience. That heater is also not large enough to allow you to swim reliably in the middle of January.

My heater is just a little larger than that and my pool is much larger. In the early spring my heater can take several days to a week to get the pool up to temperature. Once the water is warm, it keeps up just fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, we want to extend the swim season, but I would also like to use it during the winter to keep things from freezing up when it gets cold here...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

It should be fine just to keep things from freezing- just will struggle in cold months to keep pool warm enough to swim!
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)