Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Advice For Everyone - Please Read

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Advice For Everyone - Please Read

I don't know if this is 'sticky worthy' because the lesson learned is pretty basic, but this may help a few people down the road.

I got my pool balanced and was ready to fire up the SWG for the season. I turned it on and you're supposed to crank the output up all the way up and be sure all the lights are lit prior to setting the unit. I did just that and got 6 out of 7 lights lit. Weird? The three things that cause this are - 1. Low salt concentration, 2. Dirty/calcified cell, 3. Worn out cell. I had just checked the salt concentration and it was around 3050 ppm. I also cleaned the cell in muriatic acid (twice). Nothing I did made a difference and the 7th light would not light up. I was about to deem the cell failing. I decided to dig the manual out and see if I was missing something. Sure enough, my manual recommends salt concentrations of around 3500-4000 ppm. So I add salt, brush, and run the pump over night. I turn on the SWG in the morning and the 7th light now lights up! The SWG is good to go!

The moral of the story is, read your manual prior to posting about an issue on the board. All SWG's are slightly different and they have different requirements from one unit to the next.

Doug

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Advice For Everyone - Please Read

Don't think this applies to all SWGs
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by benavidescj
    Don't think this applies to all SWGs
    Reading and understanding your manual doesn't apply to all SWG's?

News to me....

Doug

4. Back To Top    #4

Have to agree with Doug. Sometimes you will be surprised at the little nuggets of information in the manuals.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good post Doug

Carlos was likely commenting on the 7 lights issue, vs. your specific point of checking the manual.

Either way we do actually cover this in Pool School (2nd paragraph in below article)

pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Good post Doug

Carlos was likely commenting on the 7 lights issue, vs. your specific point of checking the manual.

Either way we do actually cover this in Pool School (2nd paragraph in below article)

pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator
    You are absolutely correct! Again, like everyone else, I miss certain details at times... we're all in a rush these days. I somehow missed the detail on proper salt concentration. Seems stupid (Duh!) but just reading the manual carefully may help in many cases.

Doug

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry, I missed the point...
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool