SWG Advice For Everyone - Please Read

Apr 14, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know if this is 'sticky worthy' because the lesson learned is pretty basic, but this may help a few people down the road.

I got my pool balanced and was ready to fire up the SWG for the season. I turned it on and you're supposed to crank the output up all the way up and be sure all the lights are lit prior to setting the unit. I did just that and got 6 out of 7 lights lit. Weird? The three things that cause this are - 1. Low salt concentration, 2. Dirty/calcified cell, 3. Worn out cell. I had just checked the salt concentration and it was around 3050 ppm. I also cleaned the cell in muriatic acid (twice). Nothing I did made a difference and the 7th light would not light up. I was about to deem the cell failing. I decided to dig the manual out and see if I was missing something. Sure enough, my manual recommends salt concentrations of around 3500-4000 ppm. So I add salt, brush, and run the pump over night. I turn on the SWG in the morning and the 7th light now lights up! The SWG is good to go!

The moral of the story is, read your manual prior to posting about an issue on the board. All SWG's are slightly different and they have different requirements from one unit to the next.

Doug

dmanb2b said:
Good post Doug :goodjob:

Carlos was likely commenting on the 7 lights issue, vs. your specific point of checking the manual.

Either way we do actually cover this in Pool School (2nd paragraph in below article) :goodjob:

pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

You are absolutely correct! Again, like everyone else, I miss certain details at times... we're all in a rush these days. I somehow missed the detail on proper salt concentration. Seems stupid (Duh!) but just reading the manual carefully may help in many cases.

Doug

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.