foam coves and gorilla pad

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
I am still trying to figure out everything, before we have a pool installed. I want the foam cove, and the gorilla pad seems good. I would like to know that no rocks will work themselves up, and that there would be less chance to have deformities in the bottom (like foot impressions)

So, how should I expect the installer to install these? (they don't sell gorilla pad, only foam pads. I plan to buy elsewhere, but they said they will install it) Obviously the sand is laid out. Now, the questions:

1) do they build ANY kind of cove with the sand, or make it completely flat, all the way to the wall of the pool, and the foam is the only raised area? I ask, because when I looked, they show pics of it both ways: http://www.aquasupercenter.com/products/Above-ground-Liner-Peel-&-Stick-Pool-Cove~3061.html

2) Does the gorilla pad lay down first, then cove on top, or cove first, then pad sitting up on the cove?

Drayken said:
I am still trying to figure out everything, before we have a pool installed. I want the foam cove, and the gorilla pad seems good. I would like to know that no rocks will work themselves up, and that there would be less chance to have deformities in the bottom (like foot impressions)

So, how should I expect the installer to install these? (they don't sell gorilla pad, only foam pads. I plan to buy elsewhere, but they said they will install it) Obviously the sand is laid out. Now, the questions:

1) do they build ANY kind of cove with the sand, or make it completely flat, all the way to the wall of the pool, and the foam is the only raised area? I ask, because when I looked, they show pics of it both ways: http://www.aquasupercenter.com/products/Above-ground-Liner-Peel-&-Stick-Pool-Cove~3061.html

2) Does the gorilla pad lay down first, then cove on top, or cove first, then pad sitting up on the cove?

On my pool, the gorilla pad (mine was called happy bottom) went down first, then the cove on top of that (no sand). I also opted for wall foam (thin foam pad just like the bottom). I feel it really helps keep heat in the pool overnight & an added benefit is cushioning the liner from the steel wall. That was 16 years ago, so maybe things have changed, but it still works for me.

Thanks. That is what I assumed. Now, you both did NOT use sand. Any feelings on that? I don't like the idea of losing more water depth from using sand, and the pad. Maybe 1 inch to make it all perfectly level, then the pad?

Mine doesn't have any sand at all, but then again, our soil is pretty sandy so they just leveled it really well and put the pad right on the dirt. I think it would feel better if it had a little but of sand under it but I really don't know.

Hey, by the way. Advise please: I am thinking of "jamming" in a 24ft pool, lol. A 21 will fit easily, but for only $200, I can get the 24ft. The excavator said to measure out a 30ft circle, and judge to see if I am ok with how close the pool will be to some pine trees. (I have to fit it between a row of pines, and a retaining wall that I will be building, which is by my septic system. I plan to have the wall about 3-4 ft from the edge of the septic tank.)

Is 30ft a little more than needed? I see most people with a foot around their pools. (backfill, when installed) 27ft and I am fine, but it is TIGHT with 30ft.

Another option is instead of or in addition to the gorilla pad, 2" styrofoam. Helps insulate and protect the bottom of the pool. I learned about it from a friend that has a 24' AGP and has had the styrofoam in for about 10 years now. I have been using it for about 6 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.