Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemicals needed for pool closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemicals needed for pool closing

I am closing the pool for the first time next month. A&S Pool Service Department wants lots of cash to just add chemicals and to blow out pipes. Can anyone here advise what type of "closing" chemicals I will need to have on hand . I don't know what my numbers will be then (mid Oct), I am still swimming thanks to my heat pump. My current numbers are:

FC 8.0
    TC 8.0
    CH 250
    CYA 55
    TA 90
    Temp 81
    PH 7.5

Also, anyone to recommend a reputable and reasonably priced company to close this for me, I have no experience in this and plan to videotape the first time. I am just south of Baltimore. Thanks in advance.
    c ya, grivera

IG, Cement, 18,600 Gal; DE, SWCG, Nature 2; 1.5 hp pump; Quartz Aggregate, Mid-Atlantic-1st opened 7/07

2. Back To Top    #2
    I just use polyquat 60 and regular bleach to take the pool up to shock. You need rv antifeeze to put into the pipes once they are blown out. Make sure it is the "RV" antifreeze, not what you use for a car. Can't help you with pool co near Baltimore, sorry.
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

How much pipe anti freeze should I need? Also, what is polyquat 60? Do I cycle the polyquat befor closing?
    c ya, grivera

IG, Cement, 18,600 Gal; DE, SWCG, Nature 2; 1.5 hp pump; Quartz Aggregate, Mid-Atlantic-1st opened 7/07

4. Back To Top    #4
    I use about 3 gallons - I put it in the returns, & the main drain.
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    Poly quat 60 is an non-copper algaecide. Someone else can fill in what the 'quat' is, but the name starts out Poly [something (something-) something] and ends in 60%
    Yes you cycle it through. It is just a little extra protection against algae while your water is getting too cold for algae to grow.

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!