Filter leaking

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I just started my pool up tonight for the season.

When i went back to check on the pressure at my filter i noticed water around the base of it. I saw it was dripping between the top and bottom portion where the metal belt has splits. I took it apart and inspected the unit and belt and saw nothing damaged. I put everything back together and made sure the belt was tightened to spec.

I turned everything back on and still have 1 leak at one of the belt splits.

Any suggestions?

It's a Hayward DE4820

You need to closely examine the gasket that seals the top and bottom and make sure it is clean and free of nicks or cuts and that the two surfaces it mates with are clean and free of gouges. Then apply some silicone lube to the gasket and seal it back up again.

The silicone spray is not the type of stuff you want to put on the gasket. There are tubes of gasket/o-ring lubricant sold at pool supply stores that you should use. Jack's Magic is one brand. Leslie's also has a house brand. The cost is about $5.00 to $7.00 a tube. Put a little on any rubber o-rings or gaskets whenever you take a valve or connection apart. Once a year or so on the o-ring in the strainer basket helps prolong the life of that gasket. Gently clean the gasket and make sure there is no debris on it before putting the lubricant on it.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.