Bought a house with pool. Need Help.

We have a pool, slightly heart/kidney shaped, with a jacuzzi portion resting in the indent for the heart/kidney.

The Pool has one light, which is underneath the pool's waterfall, which has a small leak, so we keep the waterfall portion shut off for most of the time.
The pool has 4 jets, three of which I notice actually "work" as far as I see the water coming out / some bubbles of air. the fourth one you can feel water, but you don't see it.
It has "4" Suction ports, not sure what they are called.. three on the bottom of the pool, and one on the side of the pool wall, close to the pump system. the other three are grouped together, and centered in the middle of the pool. I found out recently that the middle "pump" out of those three in the middle, actually has nothing underneath it. Just completely sand, I haven' looked to see if theres anything underneath all that sand.

The Jacuzzi has two suction ports on the bottom of it's surface, four return jets and one light.

Pump Details:

As far as I can tell, It's a hayward Northstar Pump [don't know exact information, details were spray-painted black by accident]
Hayward cartridge filter and a Hayward "Low-nox?" Gas Heater.
Two Pipes go into the pump, Spa and Pool Suctions respectively.
Then it branches off to the filter or a vacumm like device, [doesn't suck, it pushes water out {from the pump} to clean the surface of the pool and traps debris into the bottom of it.
From the filter, it goes to the heater, then comes back up, and goes to either the By-pass valve [for water to go into the jacuzzi, to create the spill-over effect] so the water flows over the plate, and into the pool, or goes to either the pool return, or the spa return. Pool return has a seperate valve for the Waterfall, which we keep shut off cause of the Leak I mentioned.

Problems:

1) Waterfall has a leak [We can't be bothered to fix at the moment, we would have to dig up all the cement and then find the pipe.

2) When we run the jacuzzi, on jacuzzi only mode [Only Jacuzzi suction>filter>heater>jacuzzi return] Overtime it seems to lose water to god knows where.

3) When we run the pool only mode, the pump's basket is nearly empty. [On jacuzzi only mode, the pump basket is nearly full with some air bubbles at the top]

4) When the pump system is on jacuzzi mode, and the basket is filled with water.. if you shut off the system, the pump makes a loud {almost whine like} noise very, briefly, and some water shoots out of the pump basket, then it settles down. Water from the basket will then slowly empty out of the basket, into the pipes [no water leaks, possible air leak]

Also, could be my paranoia, but whenever the pool first turns on, the pipes will sometimes visibly shake a bit, it'll go away after a few seconds, but I always keep my hand on the pump's switch, ready to shut off the system in case something goes wrong.

On a side note, last night, the pump shut off, but our Jacuzzi blower was still going on [don't know why it didn't shut off] and resulted in the loss of prime to our pump! Took me several minutes to realize that we lost prime [was attempting to turn on pool, but no water was coming into the pump {at least, not a lot of water, i didn't see the basket fill up}] Switched it to the spa suction with pool return, so I could slowly fill the spa's returns with water.

If someone could help me with the above problems, or at least give me information on why those things are happening. Much thanks..
and if someone happened to live in California / Gonzales/Monterey Bay area and would be willing to assist in the pool help.. PM me please. I have paranoia, and always wonder if Im doing it corectly, which leads me to question if I may have done it wrong.. So, an assuring hand near by to assist would be very welcomed.

[Edit]
Forgot to mention... a water test kit /Test Strips / AquaCheck Test Machine Thing and a 6-way test strip ALL Say we have no chlorine in the pool, yet we have chlorine tablets in the skimmers and shock about weekly.

It sounds like you have more than one problem. It is probably simplest to focus on one issue at a time.

It sounds like you have multiple leaks, including an air leak on the suction side of the plumbing. I'd start with the air leak on the suction side, as that is usually easier to find. The first things to check are to look at the skimmer and see if a vortex is forming that might be drawing air in. Also check the lid of the pump strainer basket and make sure the gasket is clean and is sealing well. If neither of those work, try running a garden hose slowly over one plumbing joint at a time while watching the air in the pump strainer basket. If the air goes away, the joint you are currently running water on has a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.