Pump went bust

mvoorn

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2009
OK, I'm trying to understand as much as what the 'pool guy' told me this afternoon, so here goes my story. Last sunday my pool pump stopped running, it made a humming noise for a few seconds, and then it quit. I'm supposed to be under '3 year warranty' for the pool pump/motor, so I called the builders and sent their guy. He told me this morning that because my pump had been leaking (which I didn't notice), it had broken (not his exact wording) some ring/seal inside the motor, which in turn corroded the thing. Hence, it voides my warranty... surprise surprise!
They are wanting to charge almost $500 dollars to replace the motor and difusser. Now, one of the things he mentioned was that the cleaner was probably causing a lot of the damage. We have a lot of trees in our yard which means we get a LOT of leaves, acorns, etc... we clean it as much as possible, but there are times in which the cleaner gets stuck (I have a poos shark cleaner/no extra booster pump - which was recommended by the 'pool designer' when we built the pool).
My questions are:
1. Is replacing the motor and difusser best or should we get a full pump replaced? (Hayward tristar 1.0HP)
2. Is his quote -ballpark- correct or is he trying to charge too much?
3. Is the general assessment that the cleaner getting stuck (just sitting in one place but still sucking in water) often damages the pool pump motor?
4. What pool cleaner would work best for this type of thing not to happen again so soon after replacing parts?

Bit disappointed with the whole experience... we love our pool, but I feel like when you are a newbie, pool companies don't offer enough 'education' (of course that's not their business), and sooo much research done ends up sounding like jibberish after the millionth person/website/manual/blog you read when trying to decide what to buy! =(
Thanks in advance for the help!!

A replacement Hayward Tristar 1.0 HP is $221 from Poolplaza out of Dallas, TX (maybe cheaper elsewhere, but I have bought from them before so I used their price), it takes about 15 minutes to change.

Ike

I would try contacting Hayward directly about the pump. If the pump seal was leaking it was because the seal failed. If they say no, then I would get a replacement pump and install it myself.

I thought about installing it myself, but how easy is it? As much as I've doodled -and successfully fixed- with a clogged dish washer, changed a car's air filter and fixed a sprinkler or two, I've never done a 'motor' repair! Would I need any special tools, other than wrenches and the basic sort?
Thanks!

OK, try this for starters ( :lol: ). Turn the pump on and hit the motor with the butt end of a hammer and see if it starts running (if it does, it'll sound louder than it used to). If the vibration from 'whacking' the motor frees the rusted part enough for the motor to run, you can probably get away with just replacing the shaft seal assembly (the 'seal' that failed and caused the problem) and ought get you through this season. Alternatively, if you can open the back of the motor (WITH THE POWER OFF!!!) and turn the shaft manually, and replace the seal, you might also get another season out of your motor.

My response may leave you with a couple more questions, but it's easier for you to ask tehm than for me to try and guess them all and address them :cool: (lots of folks here know the answers and I'll be back tomorrow to check on your issue)

waste said:
OK, try this for starters ( :lol: ). Turn the pump on and hit the motor with the butt end of a hammer and see if it starts running (if it does, it'll sound louder than it used to). If the vibration from 'whacking' the motor frees the rusted part enough for the motor to run, you can probably get away with just replacing the shaft seal assembly (the 'seal' that failed and caused the problem) and ought get you through this season. Alternatively, if you can open the back of the motor (WITH THE POWER OFF!!!) and turn the shaft manually, and replace the seal, you might also get another season out of your motor.

My response may leave you with a couple more questions, but it's easier for you to ask tehm than for me to try and guess them all and address them :cool: (lots of folks here know the answers and I'll be back tomorrow to check on your issue)

I love this! :lol: The pool people decided to drop the service fee and installation, making it a lot cheaper for me to let them replace it themselves. So I went ahead and got them to replace the motor for a bit more than the price of the cheapest motor I could find online... at least this way, I don't have to wait for shipping and the pool water doesn't start to look that the Louisiana swamps! :shock: I did stay outside and took video of the repair person (who thought that was hilarious) so I would know how to take appart and put together a pump... hopefully it won't happen any time soon again, but at least I'll now know how to change the rings if I ever have a leak again!!
The tech mentioned something about some sort of 'entrapment baskets' that I could hook up to my cleaner hose, to prevent a lot of the debirs from flowing into the pump itself (mainly the larger debris)... anyone heard of this?
Thanks again for your help, this place rocks!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.