Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump went bust

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump went bust

OK, I'm trying to understand as much as what the 'pool guy' told me this afternoon, so here goes my story. Last sunday my pool pump stopped running, it made a humming noise for a few seconds, and then it quit. I'm supposed to be under '3 year warranty' for the pool pump/motor, so I called the builders and sent their guy. He told me this morning that because my pump had been leaking (which I didn't notice), it had broken (not his exact wording) some ring/seal inside the motor, which in turn corroded the thing. Hence, it voides my warranty... surprise surprise!
    They are wanting to charge almost $500 dollars to replace the motor and difusser. Now, one of the things he mentioned was that the cleaner was probably causing a lot of the damage. We have a lot of trees in our yard which means we get a LOT of leaves, acorns, etc... we clean it as much as possible, but there are times in which the cleaner gets stuck (I have a poos shark cleaner/no extra booster pump - which was recommended by the 'pool designer' when we built the pool).
    My questions are:
    1. Is replacing the motor and difusser best or should we get a full pump replaced? (Hayward tristar 1.0HP)
    2. Is his quote -ballpark- correct or is he trying to charge too much?
    3. Is the general assessment that the cleaner getting stuck (just sitting in one place but still sucking in water) often damages the pool pump motor?
    4. What pool cleaner would work best for this type of thing not to happen again so soon after replacing parts?

Bit disappointed with the whole experience... we love our pool, but I feel like when you are a newbie, pool companies don't offer enough 'education' (of course that's not their business), and sooo much research done ends up sounding like jibberish after the millionth person/website/manual/blog you read when trying to decide what to buy! =(
    Thanks in advance for the help!!
    Built in 2014, 18,000gal, plaster, in ground, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 2.0 HP, Booster Pump, Cartridge filters, inline chlorinator, automatic cleaner, Pentair MasterTemp 400 heater, Silencer for SPA.
    Bloody hot summers in Katy, TX; the rest of the year is just plain hot!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump went bust

A replacement Hayward Tristar 1.0 HP is $221 from Poolplaza out of Dallas, TX (maybe cheaper elsewhere, but I have bought from them before so I used their price), it takes about 15 minutes to change.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

I would try contacting Hayward directly about the pump. If the pump seal was leaking it was because the seal failed. If they say no, then I would get a replacement pump and install it myself.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought about installing it myself, but how easy is it? As much as I've doodled -and successfully fixed- with a clogged dish washer, changed a car's air filter and fixed a sprinkler or two, I've never done a 'motor' repair! Would I need any special tools, other than wrenches and the basic sort?
    Thanks!
    Built in 2014, 18,000gal, plaster, in ground, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 2.0 HP, Booster Pump, Cartridge filters, inline chlorinator, automatic cleaner, Pentair MasterTemp 400 heater, Silencer for SPA.

5. Back To Top    #5

there are step by step youtube videos for changing motors on most common models of pumps, it is easy, it can even be done without disconnecting any of the plumbing.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, try this for starters ( ). Turn the pump on and hit the motor with the butt end of a hammer and see if it starts running (if it does, it'll sound louder than it used to). If the vibration from 'whacking' the motor frees the rusted part enough for the motor to run, you can probably get away with just replacing the shaft seal assembly (the 'seal' that failed and caused the problem) and ought get you through this season. Alternatively, if you can open the back of the motor (WITH THE POWER OFF!!!) and turn the shaft manually, and replace the seal, you might also get another season out of your motor.

My response may leave you with a couple more questions, but it's easier for you to ask tehm than for me to try and guess them all and address them (lots of folks here know the answers and I'll be back tomorrow to check on your issue)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    OK, try this for starters ( ). Turn the pump on and hit the motor with the butt end of a hammer and see if it starts running (if it does, it'll sound louder than it used to). If the vibration from 'whacking' the motor frees the rusted part enough for the motor to run, you can probably get away with just replacing the shaft seal assembly (the 'seal' that failed and caused the problem) and ought get you through this season. Alternatively, if you can open the back of the motor (WITH THE POWER OFF!!!) and turn the shaft manually, and replace the seal, you might also get another season out of your motor.

My response may leave you with a couple more questions, but it's easier for you to ask tehm than for me to try and guess them all and address them (lots of folks here know the answers and I'll be back tomorrow to check on your issue)
    I love this! The pool people decided to drop the service fee and installation, making it a lot cheaper for me to let them replace it themselves. So I went ahead and got them to replace the motor for a bit more than the price of the cheapest motor I could find online... at least this way, I don't have to wait for shipping and the pool water doesn't start to look that the Louisiana swamps! I did stay outside and took video of the repair person (who thought that was hilarious) so I would know how to take appart and put together a pump... hopefully it won't happen any time soon again, but at least I'll now know how to change the rings if I ever have a leak again!!
    The tech mentioned something about some sort of 'entrapment baskets' that I could hook up to my cleaner hose, to prevent a lot of the debirs from flowing into the pump itself (mainly the larger debris)... anyone heard of this?
    Thanks again for your help, this place rocks!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, they're called leaf traps and go between the cleaner hose sections. I've really thought about getting the large one for my tons of leaves.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit