Last night I checked my pool chemistry, using my LaMotte ColorQ, and found the following:
- Free Chlorine = 2.89 PPM[/*:m:2nyweghm]
- Total Chlorine = 3.26 PPM[/*:m:2nyweghm]
- pH = 7.6[/*:m:2nyweghm]
- Alkalinity = 99[/*:m:2nyweghm]
- Calcium Hardness = 110[/*:m:2nyweghm]
- Cyanuric acid = 48 PPM[/*:m:2nyweghm]
As there was a lot of swimming by many last weekend and looking forward to it again this coming weekend and the difference between Free and Total chlorine was larger than normal, I decided to shock the pool. My pool is about 12,500 gallons and I shocked with 2 pounds of 53% Calcium Hypochlorite at about midnight. I just checked it (11 hours later) and see the Free Chlorine is 6.29 PPM and Total Chlorine is 7.47 PPM... that is a much larger difference between free and total chlorine than before shocking... is this normal? I'm still fairly new at pool maintenance, I bought the house in February and just started swimming in it about 3-4 weeks ago. This week, solar has maintained the temp between 82-75F. The water is very clear and inviting.