Bad Display on Jandy Wireless AquaLink RS OneTouch

May 4, 2011
Greetings All -

I purchased a home that has a pool with the Aqualink System installed. My controller (square black with antenna and battery) has an LCD display that is in poor shape. The letters tend to break up and sometimes I see black lines instead of text.

What are my options?

- Can I just get a replacement LCD part?
- Replace the entire Wireless Remote?
- Swap out for something new?

From what I have seen online if I replace the entire remote it will get quite pricey...and if I'm going to spend that kinda money should I update?

Look forward to hearing from all of the pro's out there.

Thanks,

Squid

You may be able to use a Jandy PDA instead. I believe that both use the same J-Box and wireless interface. The PDA's are much less expensive than the wireless AquaLink controller. Of course, the interface is simpler, but I have found that it does everything that I need.

The PDAs are available on Ebay for under $300. I went that route when my PDA stopped working due to water damage. I thought they were supposed to be waterproof, but I guess they are really water-resistant. I have a Jandy PDA 3.0 now and it works with a JBox 1.2, so it appears that versions don't matter.

In any event, the Jandy control hardware is very expensive.

The JBox is the wireless transmitter that is connected to the AquaLink control center. See this link for an example.

Yes, I believe you could run the system with a PDA. As a double check, what versions are you running now? I believe there are three relevant numbers, one each for the control center, JBox and AquaLink remote.

Jandy doesn't sell replacement parts for the remote, they assume that you will replace the entire remote.

When you get a new remote it should come with instructions on how to sync it with the base unit.

The jandy PDA and one touch are different systems and the parts are not so readily interchangeable. You can use the PDA controller on a one touch system but it is no longer considered a PDA but an Aquapalm which has limited functionality.

You still need a one touch controller in the system. Also since your system is wireless I don't know if both the existing one touch and a new PDA will operate from a single JBox.

The simplest approach would be to buy a replacement wireless remote. Options to this include buy a wired one touch controller and swap over the LCD. Another option is to buy a new PDA system. This includes a new control board which fits into the control panel, Jbox, temp sensors and the PDA remote. Installation is quite straightforward and this option will give you latest firmware with the ability to control the latest pentair and jandy vsd pumps.

If all this is too hard and you can't find a replacent send me a pm as I have a spare wireless one touch which I purchased on ebay but never used.

I've had nothing but trouble with my pool equipment. Never had a pool before so at the mercy of my pool service company. The most recent issue is that the LCD Display for my wired one-touch controller has gone bad. The controller still works but can't see anything on the screen in order to operate the various functions (heater, filter, light, etc.). A new one costs around $550 and probably more for installed. Should I buy a new one and try to replace it myself (considering I'm not experienced with these things)? Can I just buy a replacement LCD panel for it to save money?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide.

Robert

P.S. The one touch controller is located outside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.