Adding DE

Feb 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hello everyone. We opened our new pool a couple of months ago and I have been learning as much as I can on this site. Thanks to you all for the great information. I bought the TFT100 test kit and my numbers look pretty good, except the Ph keeps drifting up, which from reading is normal for a new plastered pool. I am sure I am going to have a ton of questions as I go along this journey, but for now I just have one simple question. I bought a blue DE scoop from my local Leslie's. The woman behind the counter said she thought it held 1 pound of DE, but she wasn't sure. Since it was not labeled on the scoop and Leslie's website did not mention it, I called several more Leslie's stores to check for sure. Unfortunately, I started to get various answers - ranging from .5 pounds to 2 pounds. Does anyone know for sure how much DE those blue DE scoops hold? It is scary that Leslie's employees don't seem to know this simple information.

Hey everyone. Just a follow-up if anyone is interested. I borowed a scale from a neighbor and found out that the blue Leslie's DE scoop holds .75 pounds of DE. This is after I was assured 100% by a Leslie's District Manager that it holds 1 pound. I was running the filter with 4.5 pounds of DE rather than the required 6 pounds for 1 week. Luckily the water remained clear - hopefully no negative results show up.

Thanks to all that replied to my question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.