Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Test Results with TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

First Test Results with TF-100

My prior kit was a Taylor kit from Leslie's that contained the same pH and TA tests as my new TF-100. It also had the FC test in which you drop five drops of two different kinds of chemicals (I forget the numbers) and it turns purple, not shades of yellow. In any event, the test results from the new FT-100 were fairly consistent with the FC, pH and TA from the old kit. I could not test for CH with the old kit and I'm surprised it's this high. My pool store results were always in the low to mid 300's. I also have a separate CYA test kit (apparently made by Pentair) in addition to the TF-100 test and it has been giving me a reading in the 50-60 range. The pool store's last test about two weeks ago showed 90 for CYA. I'm pretty sure it's actually in the 40-60 range so with the SWCG I suppose I could use some more CYA. Should I be concerned with the CH of 580? The pool calculator said the water was balanced with a CSI of -.2. The pool is only five months old--still adding about a gallon of acid every seven or so days and I've been told on this forum that I should lower TA to 60-70. It also looks like I could dial down the SWCG a little. The water is beautiful.

FC 6.0
    TC 6.0
    TA 110
    pH 7.2 (after adding 48 oz of MA; down from 8.2)
    CH 580 (can this be right?)
    CYA 40
    temp 77
    borates 80 (surprised it was this high--should have been closer to 50)
    salt 3400
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Test Results with TF-100

High CH levels are quite possible, though there is a small chance you are doing the test wrong. You might want to read through the extended test kit directions just to make sure you aren't doing anything wrong.

With high CH levels you need to keep an eye on your PH and TA levels. If PH were ever to go to 8.2 or higher you could have problems. You can give yourself a little more head room on PH by lowering the TA, which is a good idea for other reasons. You should also do a CH test on your fill water, to see if CH is going to continue to go up rapidly or not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I'll double check those instructions.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ch that high is very possible. However, it's equally possible that you didn't mix well enough. My CH dropped about 200 ppm when I got a speedstir. When you're sure it's totally mixed, it's about halfway. Seriously.

You can always try the CH test again. Use 10ml sample, 10 drops R-0010, 3 drops of R-011, and each drop of R-0012 counts as 25. You might want to start by putting in 8 or 10 drops and swirl for 2 full minutes.Time it, don't count alligators. Set it aside and run some other test, then return and add R-0012 a drop at a time, giving it about a minute mixing each time. And if you're not sure if its blue or lavendar, swirl another minute before adding any more drops. You will know when it turns blue.

Or get a speedstir. It's so much better. I usually undercut what i got last time by a few drops, let it cycle twice, then add drops 2 at a time until it goes lavendar. Another cycle to be sure it's going to stay lavendar, then one at a time letting the speedstir run a full cycle each time. Overkill? Maybe. But pushing a button isn't that much work!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Richard, thanks for the tips. I was getting virtually no response between adding drops of the R-0012 I started adding ten drops at a time and then swirling for a just a few seconds between additions. Also, I was wondering whether the 20 drops of the R-0010 solution was a misprint. Apparently not. I will try swirling the solution longer--but unless I cut the sample in half as you suggest it could take a while to thoroughly mix 40 or more drops of the R-0012.