A leak in the lighting can?

May 5, 2011
I'm new to pool ownership and in less than one season my pool has started leaking. The leak detection guys I called say that the leak is inside the can and they need to drain the pool below the light and paint a rubber sealant onto the can.

After the water started draining out yesterday I found a pop-off too. I don't know if that was always there or if it's new. I'm afraid more might happen between now and when the leak is fixed and the pool is refilled.

Everything I read talks about how much damage can happen when a pool is drained. Mine is not empty but over halfway empty.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I re-fill immediately, let them do their thing, or something else entirely?

Your help is extremely appreciated.

PoolissuesinSOCal
San Diego, CA
IG
I don't know any of the info required for the signature
The pool surface is different than any other pool I've experienced, pretty smooth and slick

Welcome to TFP.

If it's an inground vinyl lined pool, as long as you leave about a foot of water, or more, in the shallow end you should be ok. Most lights are about 18" under the water so you should be ok to let them repair it then fill it back up.

Just leave one foot of water in the shallow end and you should be fine. The only exception is if you have very high ground water, which is rare. If, while draining, you see the liner above the water line start bulging out then stop draining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.