Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A leak in the lighting can?

1. Back To Top    #1

A leak in the lighting can?

I'm new to pool ownership and in less than one season my pool has started leaking. The leak detection guys I called say that the leak is inside the can and they need to drain the pool below the light and paint a rubber sealant onto the can.

After the water started draining out yesterday I found a pop-off too. I don't know if that was always there or if it's new. I'm afraid more might happen between now and when the leak is fixed and the pool is refilled.

Everything I read talks about how much damage can happen when a pool is drained. Mine is not empty but over halfway empty.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I re-fill immediately, let them do their thing, or something else entirely?

Your help is extremely appreciated.

PoolissuesinSOCal
    San Diego, CA
    IG
    I don't know any of the info required for the signature
    The pool surface is different than any other pool I've experienced, pretty smooth and slick

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A leak in the lighting can?

Welcome to TFP.

If it's an inground vinyl lined pool, as long as you leave about a foot of water, or more, in the shallow end you should be ok. Most lights are about 18" under the water so you should be ok to let them repair it then fill it back up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Just leave one foot of water in the shallow end and you should be fine. The only exception is if you have very high ground water, which is rare. If, while draining, you see the liner above the water line start bulging out then stop draining.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think the surface is vinyl. It is hard and has at least one spot I saw yesterday that has popped off. I'm guessing it's plaster or fiberglass but I can't tell for sure.

5. Back To Top    #5

Same idea with plaster and fiberglass, unless the local water table is very very high you will be fine draining down below the light.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School