Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine amount??

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine amount??

Hi,

Ive been on around 4 or 5 sites that have water balance calculators. They are recommending to increase my chlorine from 0.5 to 1.5ppm i need to add 1.7oz of the cholrine i have to a 4750 gallon pool, this seems very little. i test the pool twice weekly and always seems to need to add quite a bit of chorline. the thing is i add my chlorine and test about 5-10 mins later, is this too early and is the chlorine level still increasing?

How much do you recommend i put in to maintain the chlorine level? Confused...

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine amount??

What kind of chlorine are you using?

For chlorine, you need to test the water daily, and you also need to know your CYA level to determine how much chlorine you need. Most pools would use up more chlorine in a day than 1.7ppm even in ideal conditions just from sunlight, so you are going to need to add the chlorine probably morning and evening.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

im using granular 55% sodium dichloro

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

That amount is reasonable, but still isn't enough for a day as I said above. I edited my previous post while you were typing.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks, where is the best place to test and how long after adding chlorine should i wait before testing?

6. Back To Top    #6

Bennie, You need to back up a bit and read through Pool School. Using Dichlor isn't the best way to maintain the FC level in a pool, even a small one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit