Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool guy told me to shock the pool..

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool guy told me to shock the pool..

So I did a test and saw my FC was only at .6 ppm. So I went to the pool calculator found out how much bleach I needed and added that. That is the same as "shocking" the pool correct.
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool guy told me to shock the pool..

No, you should read the instructions on shocking in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No, shocking is raising the level of FC up to the shock level for your CYA level. If you go to this link you will see what the shock level is for different CYA levels. I believe that Pool Calculator is giving you the Target FC which is also shown on these charts. Target FC is what you use if you do not have algae. Shock level is what you use if you do.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by benavidescj
    No, shocking is raising the level of FC up to the shock level for your CYA level. If you go to this link you will see what the shock level is for different CYA levels. I believe that Pool Calculator is giving you the Target FC which is also shown on these charts. Target FC is what you use if you do not have algae. Shock level is what you use if you do.
    I don't have any green algae. Just my FC is really low..
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

5. Back To Top    #5

You don't have to shock unless FC goes to zero, or CC is higher than 0.5, or there are obvious signs of algae (cloudy green water for example).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

MY cc was higher than .5. So I would need to shock correct? Last night my FC was at .6. So I put in like 200 oz. of bleach in a 32k gallon pool. I am assuming that wouldn't do too much since I needed to shock the pool correct? I would probably need closer to 3 x that amount correct?
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, if CC is above 0.5 you should shock.

How much chlorine you need to add depends on your CYA level.

8. Back To Top    #8

Post a full set of the latest test results. We appear to be jumping around here without a full picture of what's going on.
    pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Will do that tonight when I get home from work
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

10. Back To Top    #10

Excellent Also, you can use www.poolcalculator.com to calculate how much bleach is needed to raise FC.

In general, 1gal of 6% bleach will raise FC by 6ppm in a 10k gal pool. So in your pool (32k gal) you would need about 3 gallons to raise your FC by 6ppm. The 200oz (about 1.5gals) you added should have bee good for about 3ppm...which is not much if your CC was above 0.5.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator