Need conduit type recommendation for inside pool shed

kabbak

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 2, 2010
"Lamorinda" California
I have to make some wiring changes asap inside an existing covered pool shed and am looking for feedback on conduit choices.

Application is between electrical panel or Intermatic timers and pumps, a gas heater and a GFCI outlet. No wiring is LEAVING the shed, I'm just reconnecting things inside.

Approvable options seem to be emt, liquidtight and some form of PVC or CPVC. An insulated ground wire would be used along with the appropriate gage THWN wire inside.

Connection between conduit and load would be with short length of liquidtite.

A separate Bond wire will run amongst the various clientele.

I'll check with my AHJ, but would appreciate thoughts on preferences where there is latitude.
Thanks very much!

Liquidtight should pass inspection for anything shorter than 6'. I like to hard pipe everything except the pump, but it's usually not required.

I'm sure you know it, but you'll need approved connectors on your bonding conductor and it'll also be ran outside your conduit.

Bama Rambler said:
Liquidtight should pass inspection for anything shorter than 6'. .

Another vote for liquid tight.

As an FYI, the 6 feet or under requirement is for unstrapped "whips" that connect the equipment from a panel or J-box. Thats under section 680. These cant be over 6 feet. However, there's no place that says you cant run liquid tight as long a distance as you want as long as it's properly strapped to a structure. Thats covered by 351. Some inspectors actually get this wrong and flunk you for liquid tight over 6 feet. That is wrong and you can call them on it. In fact, you can bury liquid tight up to 1". Anything over 1" has to be strapped above ground since >1" isnt crush rated.
Another one of those "ambiguous" parts of the NEC that needs to be cleaned up.

Bama Rambler said:
Liquidtight should pass inspection for anything shorter than 6'. I like to hard pipe everything except the pump, but it's usually not required.

Swell.
I was hoping to use Liquid tight non-metallic and the associated approved fittings. Max. length looks like ~16 feet.

My understanding (subject to AHJ acceptance) from NEC 680.21 is that liquid tight LNFC-B, specifically, is approved at any length if properly supported IF in a dwelling or enclosed structure like a shed. I.E., it can then be any "chapter 3" approved conduit.

Mike Holt's NEC site:
http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=802 Has some great NEC section 680 references per this.

Bama Rambler said:
I'm sure you know it, but you'll need approved connectors on your bonding conductor and it'll also be ran outside your conduit.

Yes, thanks, I appreciate the reminder. Of course what's "approved" depends on whether NEC 2005 or 2008 criteria are applied.

Thanks very much guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.