How Long to stay at Shock Level

maxepr1

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2011
DFW
Like the subject says, After the FC and CC have stayed constant during overnight tests how long should i stay at shock level? Another day just to be safe? 48 hours for me at shock level, all is good? Seems like it should have taken longer but this morning all was the same. Tomorrow will be the for sure test if it still is good. Then do I let it go one more night? Also should I just leave the SWG off for a few days to burn down?

There are three criteria to be done shocking:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
And the water is clear.

Yes, when done shocking you might as well leave the SWG off for a couple of days until the FC level comes down.

Ok Shocking process is done! Wasn't that bad, about 48 hours and the water was clear and passing the overnight tests. Most of my algae spots are gone, been brushing 2-3 times a day, regular and ss brushes on the spots. Picking up some rust (I think) spots now have to deal with this later. I have kept the pool at shock level for the last 5 days just to be sure. Water is even better looking now! I'd thought it already was crystal clear. Tested this morning and here are the results:

FC 26
CC 0
TC 26
PH 7.5
CYA 85
TA 130 (when it turned yellow, not sure how accurate this is at this level)
Added some extra MA to lower the PH so I can aerate to lower the TA some more. Dosing pump is still not working and I can't figure out why?
I would like to start adding Borates next but I need to lower TA a little more.

Ok Jason, I got time I think I will lower it now. I got a smoking deal on Borates but I only got 13 boxes! So I have to wait until I get all of what I need (26) before I add Borates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.