Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Long to stay at Shock Level

1. Back To Top    #1

How Long to stay at Shock Level

Like the subject says, After the FC and CC have stayed constant during overnight tests how long should i stay at shock level? Another day just to be safe? 48 hours for me at shock level, all is good? Seems like it should have taken longer but this morning all was the same. Tomorrow will be the for sure test if it still is good. Then do I let it go one more night? Also should I just leave the SWG off for a few days to burn down?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Long to stay at Shock Level

There are three criteria to be done shocking:
    CC is 0.5 or lower;
    An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
    And the water is clear.

Yes, when done shocking you might as well leave the SWG off for a couple of days until the FC level comes down.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't forget to give it a good brushing...the pool...and your teeth.
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Voodoo, brushing two times a day. Teeth too!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok Shocking process is done! Wasn't that bad, about 48 hours and the water was clear and passing the overnight tests. Most of my algae spots are gone, been brushing 2-3 times a day, regular and ss brushes on the spots. Picking up some rust (I think) spots now have to deal with this later. I have kept the pool at shock level for the last 5 days just to be sure. Water is even better looking now! I'd thought it already was crystal clear. Tested this morning and here are the results:

FC 26
    CC 0
    TC 26
    PH 7.5
    CYA 85
    TA 130 (when it turned yellow, not sure how accurate this is at this level)
    Added some extra MA to lower the PH so I can aerate to lower the TA some more. Dosing pump is still not working and I can't figure out why?
    I would like to start adding Borates next but I need to lower TA a little more.

6. Back To Top    #6

sounds like you're on track! now it's swimtime- the rest will be easy over time...
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

7. Back To Top    #7

The TA test is still valid at high FC levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Jason! A level of around 80 TA is needed for Borate addition correct?

9. Back To Top    #9

Not required, just nice. It is easier to lower TA before you add borates, but you can lower TA after you add borates if you want.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok Jason, I got time I think I will lower it now. I got a smoking deal on Borates but I only got 13 boxes! So I have to wait until I get all of what I need (26) before I add Borates.

11. Back To Top    #11

You can add the borates in increments- you don't have to wait for the whole bang, just slowly add what you have and add more later...
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)