Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure change - sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure change - sand filter

I have noticed that the pressure in my sand filter will go up 8-10 PSI, only to drop about 5 PSI lower if I turn the filter off and then restart it again later. Has anyone else noticed this with their sand filter?
    16 x 38 inground pool, 20K gal, vinyl liner, 0.75 HP Hayward Superpump (SF 1.0, 115 V), Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate and 3.1 sq ft effective filtration area, Kreepy Krawly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure change - sand filter

Can't say that I have. When you turn the filter off, does the guage return to zero psi?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes it does.
    I am wondering if the dirt in the filter somehow settles a bit and changes orientation which allows more water through.
    16 x 38 inground pool, 20K gal, vinyl liner, 0.75 HP Hayward Superpump (SF 1.0, 115 V), Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate and 3.1 sq ft effective filtration area, Kreepy Krawly cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Mine will do that frequently (but not always) and it is for exactly the reason you suggest.

There is apparently a smooth enough flow on top of the sand bed that, I believe, allows a fine "covering" of dirt and debris to form and restrict the flow.....thereby increasing the psi.

It must be a very thin, uniform layer because when I shut of the pump, that abrupt stoppage of the flow loosens that fine layer and allows the water to pass more freely when the pump restarts.

It could also be loosened or disturbed instead at the time the pump restarts which might make more sense but I do see that often with my filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School