Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar panel return water temperature?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar panel return water temperature?

Hello,
    I have read in several threads that your return water from your panels should only
    be a couple degrees warmer then the pool water. When I feel my return water from the panels it is much hotter
    then the pool water. I understand that the best flow rate is 4GPM but have no way of measuring my
    flow rate through the panels.

When I divert the water to the panels I adjust the valve so the filter gauge goes up about 5 or 6 psi
    from 15 normal filtering to 21psi. If I send all the water to the panels it jumps from 15psi to 30psi.
    Would sending all the water to the panel help cool the water more? Any risk of running the filter at double the normal pressure? I guess I am having trouble with this concept.

Thanks for any advice!!
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar panel return water temperature?

The water returning to the pool will be about 3-4 deg warmer and quite frankly the warmer, the better. Doesn't sound like a lot, but will feel much hotter than the surrounding pool water. As long as your panels are cool to the touch, they are getting enough flow.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

At the risk of being wrong.... the more you can send through the panels the better, but you shouldn't exceed the filter rating. The lower the temp differencial between the water returning from the panels and ambient, the greater the efficiency.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies!
    My maximum working pressure for my filter is 50psi. I was thinking it would be easier on my filter
    by only raising it up to 20 or 21psi where it cools the panels. Would you suggest sending all(more) of the water to the panels and
    let it run at around 30psi?

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually it is 4 GPM per panel which is a total of 36 GPM. With only a 1 PSI rise, you are probably not sending very much to the panels. I would split the difference between no flow and full flow filter PSI or about 25 PSI. See how that works out.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Will do, thanks!!