Getting a new filter advice- PLEASE!

May 4, 2011
Hi All,

I'm new to this board. This is our 5th summer in our house. We've had problems with something pool related every year. For the last 2 summers DE shooting back into the pool upon start up has been the issue. We have replaced every single grid, the valve, etc. Manifold is the only thing that has not been replaced, and we're not even going there at this point. We have a 20K gallon inground pool with a vinyl liner. Our system is pretty old and has a .5HP pump on it. Right now we have a 36 filter and are deciding between a Hayward Pro-Grid and an Pentair FNS. We will also get a multiport valve even though our push pull is brand new. I have 2 questions. For those of you with a lot of experience which would you pick? Also, my husband does construction for a living, but is not a pool man (although he has taken apart our filter to replace all the parts 100 times). Is filter install pretty simple? (he definitely can do the pvc himself). Thanks in advance for any advice. We're hoping that replacing our filter will solve the problem of DE floating into the pool upon start up.

Welcome to TFP.

I like the Pentair's but I'd look at the Quad DE's instead of the FNS's. Just a personal choice.

Installing a new filter is just a simple PVC plumbing job. Any relatively handy person can tackle it.

Have you replaced/checked the air bleed valve inside the filter. Depending on the model, it is a little rubber tube or screen at te top of the grid set. I had the de in the pool problem last year and found that was the problem...it had a small hole in it. I never saw anyone mention that, and it turned put to be my problem.

Without starting a DE/Sandfilter/Cartridge war... I prefer a good DE filter. In a well-kept pool I find them as-easy to service as any cartridge.... but then again I'm servicing 50+ filters/year, so with the exception of the Sta-Rite System 3, they're all about the same to clean. The #1 reason I like the DE, is you can't back-wash a cartridge mid-season if it needs it... gotta tear it down.

Just my $0.02... ,

and now between me and BK406, you have $0.04 total... ;)

- Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.