Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gallons in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Gallons in pool

If my pool is roughly 20 x 42. min depth 3 feet max depth 8. Would my approximate gallons be 35k?
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gallons in pool

I get just over 36k- but could vary a lot based on how much is at 3 ft, how much at 8, how steep the slope...
    35k probably a good place to start for poolcalc!
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

3. Back To Top    #3

I get just shy of 32,000 gallons. A few chem additions should help you narrow it down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd guess closer to 31k. Of course I'm just guessing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess I can find out once I start doing my chemicals,etc. I have been running my filter for 2 days straight now. I am guessing now is a good time to do a water test and start adding chemicals correct?
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh yea. Unless the plaster is brand new, 2 days is kind of long to wait.

If the plaster is new, just put perhaps three trichlor tablets in the skimmer(s). If it isn't brand new, do a full set of water tests.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I got lazy on my calculation, remembered 8 gal / cu ft, (it 8 lb/gal, 7.5 gal / cu ft)
    so my number was a little high...
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If the plaster is new, just put perhaps three trichlor tablets in the skimmer(s). If it isn't brand new, do a full set of water tests.
    I would caution against putting trichlor tablets in the skimmer(s) unless you run the pump constantly until the tablets are dissolved. If you shut off the pump with undissolved tablet remaining, the tablet will continue to dissolve and you will have a 'slug' of chemical going through your system when the pump is turned back 'on'. Not a big deal if done once or twice...but over time this can cause damage. I recommend getting a floater as a 'safer' option and for use when you go on vacation...or "Holiday" for our European readers.
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Voodoo_Pool, on a brand new plaster pool you need to run the pump 24/7 anyway, so there is no problem. Trichlor in the skimmer for a couple of weeks has all kinds of advantages for brand new plaster. As you point out, not such a good idea otherwise.