Cracks in plaster/concrete shell?

botanica37

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Oakton, VA
There are several cracks that are running through the plaster/tiles in the pool and it feels like they are larger this spring. I did the dye test and there is no water leaking into the crack. I had 2 pool builders check them out in the fall. The first one said that he needs to take the coping off and rebuild the shell and replaster, but had no idea what has caused the cracks, hence no guarantee whatsoever it won't happen again. BTW, he was the same guy that apparently repaired the pool a year before we purchased the house, so 5 years ago. He was very evasive on what was done, but from what I can gather, the curved corners were rebuilt, the pool replastered and all new coping was installed.

The second guy thought that the cracks are due to the surrounding soil pushing on the shell, especially during winter, when everything is frozen and expands? However, he was confused about that a bit, because the ground slopes away from the pool. There is some movement on the concrete deck, one of the blocks? is a bit out of the ground right next to the coping. So I guess that is a possibility too. His solution was the same, and he also would not guarantee that won't happen - he suggested to consult a geologist?

Does the fact that the dye doesn't seep into the crack mean that the shell is fine and the cracks are only superficial on the tile and the plaster? What is the best course of action here to repair and possibly prevent this from happening again?

Thank you!

Attachments

• pool crack2.jpg
    pool crack2.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 150
  • poolcrack1.jpg
    poolcrack1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 150
  • poolcrack3.jpg
    poolcrack3.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 150
It is very difficult to tell just what is happening without taking the plaster off and examining the shell, which is a major project in it self. That might just be a failure in the plaster due to a bad application job, or something minor in the shell, or something much more serious.

I suggest keeping an eye on it for at least another year and watching to see if it gets any worse or stays the way it is.

From my limited experience with ceramic tile, I think the fact that the tile is cracked means that there is a movement, not sure if that applies to plaster too..can you elaborate on something more serious part? I am afraid to hire someone to take the plaster and coping, without knowing what I am looking for - maybe there is previous post or discussion you can direct me to. I can definitely say that over the past 2 years, the cracks are getting longer, not wider, so whatever movement there is, it is horizontal. I did fill the largest cracks with some waterproof "waterweld" or something and it is almost impossible to see the cracks on the plaster for now.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.