Solar Heating?

Jul 5, 2010
Anyone aware of performance and maintenance differences between Fafco and Heliocol solar panels? From the sales pitches I heard, they use different size pipe, installation on tile roof varies, one purportedly has a cleaner look (less pipe on roof), Fafco recommends 7 panels, Heliocol 6. Panel installation on east facing exposure-two story.

Appreciate any feedback offered.

NPG
Sacramento CA area,
420sgft inground
14,00 gal, salt water
Pentair 230v VS pump

Bama Rambler said:
You won't go wrong with either of those brands. The Fafco's are a little more efficient according to the Florida solar energy dept but they're both close.

+1

You might be able to fit more Heliocol panels up because they are slightly narrower, but they are also slightly longer, so...Not sure why you got quoted less Heliocol.

But if it's not a space issue, the same number of panels will result in approximately the same efficiency. So if you got quoted the same price for Fafco as Heliocol, you will get more band for the buck with more Fafco panels (to the tune of however much heat one panel produces).

Panels & Pipes in my area can be sourced in the same size (2") from both companies.

Heliocol doesn't use mid-panel straps so they don't have as many roof penetrations (places to leak). I also like that Heliocol doesn't use the strap clamps on hoses between panels.

Replacement parts for Fafco seem to be somewhat available on the Internet, not so for Heliocol. Last time I looked anyway - this might depend on the warranty length, and how long you think you will be there, but it's something to consider.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.