Measuring DE

I would not be able to help you there. What I do is have a small scale and then put a cup on the scale. Notice the weight of the cup empty and then pour in what I need to make the weight go the appropriate weight.

Just looked it up and you are right. 2.4 lbs=38.4 ounces

Basically 2.4X16(Ounce in a Pound)=38.4

I don't have a DE filter, but I would recommend measureing it out once into a container you can reuse. Then mark a line on the container and just fill it to that line in the future. Keep in mind that as JasonLion has said, you only need the full amount after cleaning the filter. After backwash you'll only need about 80% of that.

(Mods, feel free to edit or delete if I didn't get that quite right.)

-- Pete

DE is measured by weight. They do make special scoops that hold 1/2 lb of DE. Also, if you have a standard 1 lb coffee can, that is about 1/2 lb of DE, but that is a little less reliable as coffee cans vary a little bit.

If you don't want to actually weigh the DE powder on a scale, then I recommend going to your local pool store and purchasing a BLUE SCOOP. It is calibrated. Also, unless you take the filter apart and completely clean the grids to remove ALL of the old DE, then you do not need to add the full amount of DE powder. Backwashing does NOT remove ALL of the old DE powder. I discovered this when I removed the top of my filter for the first time after purchasing the house. So much old DE powder (from previous owner) existed that it formed a reverse image of the lid. This was after I backwashed and saw clear water in the sight glass. How do your grids look?

Voodoo_Pool said:
If you don't want to actually weigh the DE powder on a scale, then I recommend going to your local pool store and purchasing a BLUE SCOOP. It is calibrated. Also, unless you take the filter apart and completely clean the grids to remove ALL of the old DE, then you do not need to add the full amount of DE powder. Backwashing does NOT remove ALL of the old DE powder. I discovered this when I removed the top of my filter for the first time after purchasing the house. So much old DE powder (from previous owner) existed that it formed a reverse image of the lid. This was after I backwashed and saw clear water in the sight glass. How do your grids look?

I am too much of a novice to open up the filter. That will happen eventually in due time once I get more comfortable with everything..

No way! Take charge! Do you have the owner's manual? If not...GOOGLE it! It really is NOT that scarey to take the top off your filter. You may be surprised, as I was, and it could save you a lot of frustration in the future. If you are not comfortable, so be it. But think about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.