Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended cleaning supplies

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended cleaning supplies

I have an old manual vacuum cleaner as well as an old RAYVAC self cleaner. My question is do the new manual vacuum cleaners do a better job than the older ones. Is it worth replacing?
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommended cleaning supplies

Personally, I think as long as the manual vac is in good condition (any brushes in good condition or replaced, attacments not cracked), I would continue to use it. We inherited a Hayward SuperVac with our pool and used it without issue for five years. It finally got old enough that the plastic was cracking, so we replaced it this year. I don't know enough about the RayVac cleaners to say.

-- Pete
    32x16 ft Grecian rectangular vinyl pool 8ft on deep end - 19000 gal. 18" Hayward S-240 sand filter. 250K BTU Pentair MasterTemp heater. Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by loughps
    Personally, I think as long as the manual vac is in good condition (any brushes in good condition or replaced, attacments not cracked), I would continue to use it. We inherited a Hayward SuperVac with our pool and used it without issue for five years. It finally got old enough that the plastic was cracking, so we replaced it this year. I don't know enough about the RayVac cleaners to say.

-- Pete
    Do I need to get the "leaf trap" that I see in some videos...
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't have one for my manual vac, but I use a vac plate on top of my skimmer and attach my hose there. Any large material then gets trapped in the skimmer basket. But I've only had that for a couple of years, I used to just vac to waste. I don't think the leaf trap is something you "need", but if it makes your pool care easier, you may want to add one sometime.
    32x16 ft Grecian rectangular vinyl pool 8ft on deep end - 19000 gal. 18" Hayward S-240 sand filter. 250K BTU Pentair MasterTemp heater. Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

When there are a lot of leaves, I use a leaf bagger.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    When there are a lot of leaves, I use a leaf bagger.
    I have like 5 - 10 leafs on the bottom of the pool. Some are of the larger variety. what is the best way to remove these...
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

7. Back To Top    #7

With that few leaves, I would try to catch them in a leaf rake, and if that didn't work then just vacuum them up (and clean the basket right after).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

A few leaves on the bottom...just jump in and grab them! I personally don't even use the manual vacuum head. Instead I simply swim around with a mask and vacuum hose to get up any dirt/debris that my Polaris "missed". It is fun, too!
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Pool
    A few leaves on the bottom...just jump in and grab them! I personally don't even use the manual vacuum head. Instead I simply swim around with a mask and vacuum hose to get up any dirt/debris that my Polaris "missed". It is fun, too!
    We just opened our pool, and we are in MD. Water is too **** cold for now! lol But in the summer sounds like an awesome idea!
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015