DE all over the place!

May 3, 2011
PSL, FL
I just bought a new house(new to me) with Pool. It has a Pentair FNS Plus DE filter. At first I thought I was getting next to Poison Ivy or stinging nettles. But I finally figured out it was anytime I went near the Pool equipment. It must be covered in DE. I itch crazt every time I brushg up against any of it. I never had this problem with my Last DE setup.

Is there a good way to get this equipment cleaned of DE? I was thinking of just getting some soapy water and brushing everything down. Anybody seen this or have a better suggestion?

It is probably fiberglass, rather than DE. DE tends to wash off and blow away. Fiberglass sheds tiny glass fibers that sting and itch once it ages a little and more or less forever after. Often, coating the fiberglass with auto wax will reduce or eliminate this problem.

I can vouch personally for the "itch factor" of the FNS Plus (light yellow) fiberglass reinforced plastic tank components.

As the tank weathers due to UV exposure (and other factors, I'm sure) the very outermost layer of resins, which made the outer surfaces nice and smooth when new, dry out and wear away, leaving tiny fiberglass "pins and needles" exposed; you may notice this especially on the top "dome" of the tank, which gets the most direct sun.

I have to be extra careful with mine, as every time I forget about this and reach over to open the purge valve on the top of my FNS Plus, I get a nice bunch of fiberglass jammed into my forearm.

I keep saying that I need to take some time to sand and paint the top half of my tank....It is only item #3,276 on my list of things to do/fix around the house, LOL.

Rwhite692 said:
I can vouch personally for the "itch factor" of the FNS Plus (light yellow) fiberglass reinforced plastic tank components.

As the tank weathers due to UV exposure (and other factors, I'm sure) the very outermost layer of resins, which made the outer surfaces nice and smooth when new, dry out and wear away, leaving tiny fiberglass "pins and needles" exposed; you may notice this especially on the top "dome" of the tank, which gets the most direct sun.

I have to be extra careful with mine, as every time I forget about this and reach over to open the purge valve on the top of my FNS Plus, I get a nice bunch of fiberglass jammed into my forearm.

I keep saying that I need to take some time to sand and paint the top half of my tank....It is only item #3,276 on my list of things to do/fix around the house, LOL.

This exactly the problem I am having. I just thought it was the DE sprayed when it is bled. But I have never had DE bother this much. Definitely feels like Fiberglass. It also seems that no matter what I am doing out there, that I seem to brush against it. Repainting sounds like a h3ll of an idea!

Maybe LSU colors!

Welcome to TFP!!

If you need to be in contact with the filter, before you can wax or paint it, spray your arms (or whatever skin will be touching the filter :shock: ) with hairspray - it creates a coating that the fiberglass doesn't penetrate. :) (there's a thread here on the topic, if you'd care to use the search function)

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

If you need to be in contact with the filter, before you can wax or paint it, spray your arms (or whatever skin will be touching the filter :shock: ) with hairspray - it creates a coating that the fiberglass doesn't penetrate. :) (there's a thread here on the topic, if you'd care to use the search function)

Thanx!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.