Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: DE all over the place!

  1. Back To Top    #1
    les_garten's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    PSL, FL
    Posts
    153

    DE all over the place!

    I just bought a new house(new to me) with Pool. It has a Pentair FNS Plus DE filter. At first I thought I was getting next to Poison Ivy or stinging nettles. But I finally figured out it was anytime I went near the Pool equipment. It must be covered in DE. I itch crazt every time I brushg up against any of it. I never had this problem with my Last DE setup.

    Is there a good way to get this equipment cleaned of DE? I was thinking of just getting some soapy water and brushing everything down. Anybody seen this or have a better suggestion?
    14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair IntelliFlo <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly Classic <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: DE all over the place!

    It is probably fiberglass, rather than DE. DE tends to wash off and blow away. Fiberglass sheds tiny glass fibers that sting and itch once it ages a little and more or less forever after. Often, coating the fiberglass with auto wax will reduce or eliminate this problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3
    les_garten's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    PSL, FL
    Posts
    153

    Re: DE all over the place!

    Hmmm, Interesting!
    14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair IntelliFlo <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly Classic <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: DE all over the place!

    I can vouch personally for the "itch factor" of the FNS Plus (light yellow) fiberglass reinforced plastic tank components.

    As the tank weathers due to UV exposure (and other factors, I'm sure) the very outermost layer of resins, which made the outer surfaces nice and smooth when new, dry out and wear away, leaving tiny fiberglass "pins and needles" exposed; you may notice this especially on the top "dome" of the tank, which gets the most direct sun.

    I have to be extra careful with mine, as every time I forget about this and reach over to open the purge valve on the top of my FNS Plus, I get a nice bunch of fiberglass jammed into my forearm.

    I keep saying that I need to take some time to sand and paint the top half of my tank....It is only item #3,276 on my list of things to do/fix around the house, LOL.
    38,500 gallon free form pool, Gemstone finish by Burkett's, FNS Plus 60, Pentair Intelliflo Pump #011018, Solar, 12 4x12 panels w/Compool LX220....Soon to be adding automation.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    les_garten's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    PSL, FL
    Posts
    153

    Re: DE all over the place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rwhite692
    I can vouch personally for the "itch factor" of the FNS Plus (light yellow) fiberglass reinforced plastic tank components.

    As the tank weathers due to UV exposure (and other factors, I'm sure) the very outermost layer of resins, which made the outer surfaces nice and smooth when new, dry out and wear away, leaving tiny fiberglass "pins and needles" exposed; you may notice this especially on the top "dome" of the tank, which gets the most direct sun.

    I have to be extra careful with mine, as every time I forget about this and reach over to open the purge valve on the top of my FNS Plus, I get a nice bunch of fiberglass jammed into my forearm.

    I keep saying that I need to take some time to sand and paint the top half of my tank....It is only item #3,276 on my list of things to do/fix around the house, LOL.
    This exactly the problem I am having. I just thought it was the DE sprayed when it is bled. But I have never had DE bother this much. Definitely feels like Fiberglass. It also seems that no matter what I am doing out there, that I seem to brush against it. Repainting sounds like a h3ll of an idea!

    Maybe LSU colors!
    14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair IntelliFlo <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly Classic <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Coastalish 'down easter'
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: DE all over the place!

    Welcome to TFP!!

    If you need to be in contact with the filter, before you can wax or paint it, spray your arms (or whatever skin will be touching the filter ) with hairspray - it creates a coating that the fiberglass doesn't penetrate. (there's a thread here on the topic, if you'd care to use the search function)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

    Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

    POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

  7. Back To Top    #7
    les_garten's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    PSL, FL
    Posts
    153

    Re: DE all over the place!

    Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP!!

    If you need to be in contact with the filter, before you can wax or paint it, spray your arms (or whatever skin will be touching the filter ) with hairspray - it creates a coating that the fiberglass doesn't penetrate. (there's a thread here on the topic, if you'd care to use the search function)
    Thanx!
    14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair IntelliFlo <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly Classic <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX, USA
    Posts
    101

    Re: DE all over the place!

    i had the same problem and now i am super careful when getting near my DE filter
    14500 gallon plaster pool (replastered in May 2009) : 32ft.L x 4ft.D x 14ft.W
    Pentair FNS Plus 48 sqft DE filter --> New filter grids as of May 2011. I use DE for them.
    Polaris 280 & Aquabot T-Jet Turbo at 2hrs/week. 20ft by 4ft solar heating panels
    Circupool RJ30 SWG set at 80% output & Pentair SuperFlo 1hp 2speed running 8 hrs/day

  9. Back To Top    #9
    les_garten's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    PSL, FL
    Posts
    153

    Re: DE all over the place!

    Quote Originally Posted by michmike
    i had the same problem and now i am super careful when getting near my DE filter

    Ohhhh, That Dawg will Bite Chooooo!
    14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair IntelliFlo <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly Classic <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •