Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st year opening my pool with a Loop-Loc Mesh Safty Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

1st year opening my pool with a Loop-Loc Mesh Safty Cover

Hello All,

I plan on opening my pool this coming weekend. This will be the first time I open it after using a Loop-Loc Mesh Safety Cover. I was wondering if anyone has any advice as far as anything I have to do different. In past years I used your standard covers with water bags and never had any issues with the quality of my water. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Norbert
    23,000 Gallons; 16 X 32 w/ 4 X 8 Steps; Vinyl Liner; Hayward EC65A DE Filter; Hayward 2607X10 1 HP Pump; Hayward CL200 In-Line Chlorinator;
    Bromine; LOOP-LOC Winter Mesh Safety Cover; Aquabot Supreme Automatic Robotic Cleaner;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st year opening my pool with a Loop-Loc Mesh Safty Cove

Every pool is different, but mesh covers tend to let dirt in, so don't be surprised if you see a layer of fine dirt on the bottom. Otherwise, it shouldn't be much different than any other year.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it's a new loop loc, you wont have much dirt at all. The old covers tended to let more dirt in, but the new ones are a tighter weave, so the old adage that mesh covered pools open dirtier is not really true anymore. Let us know how clean or dirty yours is when you open. take a picture and post it up.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you update this thread next week to tell me if you prefer the mesh to the tarp & water bags? I hate the tarp & water bags because they leak and are a pain to deal with but the mesh safety cover is $$$...
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I've had both and Loop loc beats the tarp hands down, if for anything just for the looks of it alone.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you opening your pool yourself?

If you need a few tips or tricks on yanking the cover, just ask
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

The cover came off this past weekend, The water was a little cloudy, more than I expected. It only took me 1 day to clear up the water. I blame this fact on myself because I forgot to add the algicide a few weeks ago. Here are the pictures of the pool after the cover came off.
    Looking back I think I would take more time considering the solid cover over the mesh, I had a little dirt in the bottom of the pool but I think this had a lot to do with the amount of snow we had this year.
    Definitely beats the tarp and water bags.

[attachment=1:173w3hif]poolb.jpg[/attachment:173w3hif]

[attachment=0:173w3hif]pool 004.jpg[/attachment:173w3hif]
    Norbert
    23,000 Gallons; 16 X 32 w/ 4 X 8 Steps; Vinyl Liner; Hayward EC65A DE Filter; Hayward 2607X10 1 HP Pump; Hayward CL200 In-Line Chlorinator;
    Bromine; LOOP-LOC Winter Mesh Safety Cover; Aquabot Supreme Automatic Robotic Cleaner;

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

One last question about storing the cover and anchors. In the instructions it says to rinse off the cover, fold it accordion style and hang it up in the bag off the floor. I did fold it accordion style from the deep end to the low end but it didn't seem to come out even. I folded it over and it easily fit in the bag. Is this okay? Also the instructions don't mention putting any type of lubricant in the anchors before closeing them. Should I spray some WD-40 in the anchors before I close them?
    Thanks again
    Norbert

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by norbie
    I folded it over and it easily fit in the bag. Is this okay?
    Sure, it's fine.

As for lube in the anchors, i dont do it. I do blow out the inside with an air compressor to get all the grit out before I screw the anchor back down to the deck level. I dont really tighten them down hard either. Just get the flush and barely tight. No need to crank on them.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you all
    Norbert