Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Filter Pressure Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Filter Pressure Problem

Hello,
    We've had some nasty wind, so I've been out cleaning MAJOR debris from our 30K gallon pool. We have a Pentair DE filter that my husband cleaned out this afternoon. It was working just fine, then out of the blue the pressure dropped to 0 psi. I cleaned out the basket which was very full after only 10 min of sweeping and got back to work. After sweeping for another 5 min or so, the pressure dropped to 0 again. I cleaned out the basket again, it was slightly less full this time. Now, the filter won't prime. I ran it for 10min waiting, but 0 psi. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    30,000 gal inground pool with attached waterfall spa.
    60 sq ft American Titan (Pentair) DE filter with no backwash.
    Not sure about the pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Filter Pressure Problem

It sounds like a suction side clog, rather than a filter problem. Do you have a skimmer door (weir), it might be jammed from the debris.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

no skimmer door, I'm thinking about taking the check valve apart. I can see bubbles passing through, something seems wrong about that. Can you use a drain snake in pool plumbing?
    Not sure about the pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hold off on the sanke idea for now, perhaps try reverse flowing with a garden hose and a rag or attaching a drain king.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for your help. The clog was at the Jandy valve that switches the uptake from the pool to the spa. We switched the valve, and let the pump pull from the spa,which filled the pipe with water. Then we switched it back, and the clog moved on through.
    Not sure about the pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

I am having the same problem where is the check valve located??? Pentair 420.