Salt vs chlorine

May 3, 2011
I had a pool In PA for 14 years and never had a problem keeping the pool clean. I moved to North Carolina and was told the only way to go is salt water. Is it hard keeping the pools clean with Chlorine in NC?

Welcome to TFP.

If by clean you mean sanitized. It's no harder to keep a pool sanitized in one part of the country than in another. swcg's are a good way to do it but so is adding beach or a chlorine injection pump. It's all relative and it's only as hard as you think it is.

Not living in both places I would not know if one was harder than the other to keep a pool clean, but would guess the answer was no. SWG work fine and are the right choice for some. I keep mine clean with liquid chlorine. I test my pool daily so adding Chorine daily is just as easy for me.

Is it hard keeping the pools clean with Chlorine in NC?

Nope, not a bit! :lol:
[attachment=0:181oupw8]clear pool water.JPG[/attachment:181oupw8]

Attachments

• clear pool water.JPG
    clear pool water.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 221
Thank you so much for the info. I would like to have a salt unit, but at this time it is not affordable for me. I hearing so much about how bad the bleach is for your body and how NC is hot in the summer and burns out the chemicals faster and that is why I questioned about it.

If you bleach correctly, it won't even be perceivable. What most folks think is a pool with too much chlorine is actually almost always a pool without enough chlorine. And balanced correctly, it doesn't take a high ppm to chlorinate correctly.

Start by reading the Pool School so you can learn how to properly maintain the pool. It sounds like you did well in the past, but be sure to understand the difference between using Trichlor pucks/tabs vs. using chlorinating liquid or bleach and also learn the appropriate Free Chlorine (FC) level for the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level to prevent algae growth and to have a sanitary pool.

I echo Chem Geeks recommendation. Read and learn so you can understand what your doing. Once you learn the BBB method you will always have a sparkling pool. The only reason I went to a SWG was because I was too lazy to keep using liquid bleach. It's more convenient. It's also more cost effective for me but it took a while to recoup the investment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.