Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt vs chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt vs chlorine

I had a pool In PA for 14 years and never had a problem keeping the pool clean. I moved to North Carolina and was told the only way to go is salt water. Is it hard keeping the pools clean with Chlorine in NC?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt vs chlorine

Welcome to TFP.

If by clean you mean sanitized. It's no harder to keep a pool sanitized in one part of the country than in another. swcg's are a good way to do it but so is adding beach or a chlorine injection pump. It's all relative and it's only as hard as you think it is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Not living in both places I would not know if one was harder than the other to keep a pool clean, but would guess the answer was no. SWG work fine and are the right choice for some. I keep mine clean with liquid chlorine. I test my pool daily so adding Chorine daily is just as easy for me.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is it hard keeping the pools clean with Chlorine in NC?

Nope, not a bit!
    [attachment=0:181oupw8]clear pool water.JPG[/attachment:181oupw8]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I wish my robot would quit breaking!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pebblesboy
    . I moved to North Carolina and was told the only way to go is salt water. Is it hard keeping the pools clean with Chlorine in NC?
    A salt pool IS a chlorine pool. Chlorine is made from the Cl- in the water instead of dumping in liquid or granular chlorine.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you so much for the info. I would like to have a salt unit, but at this time it is not affordable for me. I hearing so much about how bad the bleach is for your body and how NC is hot in the summer and burns out the chemicals faster and that is why I questioned about it.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you bleach correctly, it won't even be perceivable. What most folks think is a pool with too much chlorine is actually almost always a pool without enough chlorine. And balanced correctly, it doesn't take a high ppm to chlorinate correctly.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Start by reading the Pool School so you can learn how to properly maintain the pool. It sounds like you did well in the past, but be sure to understand the difference between using Trichlor pucks/tabs vs. using chlorinating liquid or bleach and also learn the appropriate Free Chlorine (FC) level for the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level to prevent algae growth and to have a sanitary pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

I echo Chem Geeks recommendation. Read and learn so you can understand what your doing. Once you learn the BBB method you will always have a sparkling pool. The only reason I went to a SWG was because I was too lazy to keep using liquid bleach. It's more convenient. It's also more cost effective for me but it took a while to recoup the investment.
    36,000 gallon IG Gunite (40 x 20), 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Pentair Nautilus NS-48 DE filter, 2 skimmers, 12 - (2 x 20) Fafco Solar Panels (Goldline controller not hooked up yet), Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, Blue Pearl Robot cleaner. New Dr. Wellness X-12 standalone Lifestyle Spa.