Trying to get a grasp on Balancing..

SWpisces

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Hi! Another question on SWG balance and CYA level. The pool school recommends 3-5 FC and a CYA of 70-80. Another article in pool school references the Chlorine and CYA correlation --- @ 70 CYA, the chart has a minimum of 5 FC with a target of 8. Should I always be aiming for a FC of 8?

Right now my levels:
FC 3.6
pH 7.3 (trying to get TA down--added more muriatic acid to bring down to 7.1)
TA 110 ( adding muriatic acid and aerating---would like to get down to 70-80)
CH 200 (will be adding a little more to get up to 250-300)
CYA 75
Salt---will be adding tomorrow and starting the salt generator. ((30 day wait period for new plaster)

Also with a 30K gallon pool, I realize the aerating may take some time. What is a reasonable time frame?

Thanks!

Yes, I do use the pool calculator (awesome!)...and I have set it up @ bottom for SWG. I'm hoping I am reading it all correctly. At bottom is also Suggested levels...with the SWG it says 4 FC, then 6-11----which one do you use?

And also appreciate the advice on TA and new plaster....I'm thinking that you just keep doing the best you can to get it down, especially with a new pool? I have the thought that I can get it all balanced, within the parameters and "troublefree" in a short period of time?

Thanks!....
I should have read some more posts too as I see Jason explained it in his pool calculator post--some one else had the same question. I read it before but it didn't register then.
I know some day this will all become second nature...but I'm a little overwhelmed with pool building, water maintenance and trying to remember it's all about FUN!--ha. (I think it's my mid-life crisis brain showing up!--retention is a little slower) I'm forever grateful for all you seasoned veterans sharing this with us!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.